RSync Authentication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostlobster

Dabbler
I'm sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum, but I cannot really find the correct location for RSync related issues.
Here's my issue:
I have 2 NAS devices (Thecus N4100Pro and N4200EVO) at 2 different locations offsite. I want to use the RSync module on the Thecus devices to do incremental backups to my FreeNAS box over here. No problem, right? Well...problem. Here's what I've done:

Created a new ZFS Dataset called rsync
Created a new user called rsyncuse, in the operator group
Set the permissions of the rsync dataset to owner rwx, group rx, other rx, recursively using the FreeNAS GUI.
Set rsyncuse as the owner of the rsync dataset.
Left the port within the RSync plugin at 873
Setup a new RSync module within the Freenas GUI, running as user rsyncuse, pointing to the rsync dataset
Obviously, configured port forwarding on both ends.

On the client end:
If I use DeltaCopy from a Windows box at the other end, and enter absolutely no authentication information, the sync works. That, in and of itself is frightening! However, if I enter authentication information within DeltaCopy, it also works. Very weird, but OK. And yes, I left Hosts Allow blank on the FreeNAS server RSyn module for testing and setup. I'd rather use user based authentication than IP address based authentication as these remote boxes are DHCP.
In the Thecus module, I use the same login information, (rsyncuse/******xx) set the destination path to the module name, left the port at 873, and run the test job.
No error is returned on the client side and there is nothing in the logs. It just goes from job in progress, to finished. There is nothing related to errors or warnings in any of the client side logs.
The Test COnnection function within their module works fine...no errors.
However, nothing is copied to the FreeNAS server. It does not create any directories, nothing. No new files, no new folders, nothing.
The Thecus module will not allow me to create the rsync job without the authentication information, so that is not an option.

How can I do something to enable some kind of tracing on the server side to see exactly what is going on here? Or, better yet, how can enable user authentication within RSync?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.