Rsync Starting then Failing on FreeNAS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0re

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

I've been fighting with rsync this weekend to no avail unfortunately. I set up an Rsync server through Optware on an Asus router. That has a 3TB USB drive plugged into it. It's fully configured with one Rsync module and no authentication.

I then configured an rsync task in FreeNAS but found it was failing. From there, I decided to test running it manually from the command line.

My configuration is as follows:
  • Source to be backed up: /mnt/tank/data/users
  • Destination server IP: 192.168.0.214
  • Server module name: backup
  • rsync 3.0.9 on both client and server
  • FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
Here is the command I've been running:
Code:
rsync -avzh --progress "/mnt/tank/data/users" "192.168.0.214::backup"

It then uploads about 1GB of data in 20,000 files (mostly backed up websites with lots of PHP files). It will then randomly fail with this error:

Code:
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 135 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32) rsync: read error:
Connection reset by peer (54)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764) [sender=3.0.9]

Once I get that, I'm pretty much cooked; re-running the rsync command will transfer another 20 or so files and then fail immediately. I can't seem to get anymore data to sync than that. If I delete all the data in the backup location, I can start again just fine and it will fail roughly at the same point.

I've tried removing the -z flag which makes no difference at all.

I also tried running the same data to the rsync server from DeltaCopy and that ran for hours without any hiccups. I stopped it after it transferred ~100GB of data successfully.

I even tried running the *exact* same command DeltaCopy was running from the FreeNAS command line and it fails in exactly the same way. No matter what I do, I can't get FreeNAS to complete it's rsync.

As a complete Linux n00b, I'm pretty much at a loss here. It's making me want to put my tail between my legs and run back to Windows right now :rolleyes:

Any and all advice/comments/questions are greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Any reason you aren't setting up rsync in the WebGUI? That's the preferred way of doing things and the manual doesn't tell you to use the CLI, so we don't generally support that method except for troubleshooting when the WebGUI won't work.

And you may be a linux noob, but this isn't linux. FreeBSD is a flavor of unix.

c0re

Dabbler
Hi cyberjock,

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact start troubleshooting from the CLI because the GUI was giving me the exact same error. I just had gotten tired of setting the scheduler to start a minute in the future. But yeah, same issue is happening in both the GUI and CLI. What's frustrating is that it actually does get a fair bit of data across and then fails...

I should also mention that I have a RAIDZ1 array with 5x3TB disks and 16GB of RAM if that helps any.

Are there any logfiles that it may be generating that could be helpful in diagnosing the issue?

Otherwise, I'd certainly qualify myself as a FreeBSD/Unix n00b as well. All I know how to do is RTFM and that's about it :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not aware of any logs, especially when doing things from the CLI. Maybe look in /var/logs/messages.

I setup rsync once a long time ago. I got it working the first time just using the FreeNAS manual. If you follow the manual's guide for the PUSH/PULL example you can see that it works, then once you understand it you can tweak it for your exact situation. That's about the best advice I can give.

Keep in mind that Deltacopy is a Windows program, so there's no telling if that is or isn't bugged with FreeNAS as the PUSH or PULL. We recommend both ends be FreeNAS. While this isn't possible for many people, you are kind of on your own to troubleshoot Deltacopy since we're a FreeBSD forum. ;) Very few developers use Windows at all.

c0re

Dabbler
Thanks, I'll take a look in /var/logs/messages to see if I can find anything interesting there.

It is true that right now I'm running PUSH from the FreeNAS box to the Asus router. Maybe I should try doing a PULL from the other side instead and see what happens.

I actually really do wish I could have the other end running FreeNAS, but I'm not made of money unfortunately :) What gets me is that Deltacopy --> Linux router works fine. Maybe what I'll do is fire up a FreeNAS VM and try to run an rsync to that. Hmm, yeah I think I'll try that and report back.

c0re

Dabbler
So running FreeNAS --> FreeNAS VM it got to level 3 before I cancelled it. Didn't get to the final boss, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work for the whole dataset...

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get FreeNAS --> Linux router to complete an rsync.

I've tried disabling jumbo frames on the switch, every imaginable option under the sun in rsyncd.conf, loads of different parameters and it just won't do it.

So in conclusion:

It's probably not a good idea to run rsync tasks to a router with 256MB of memory. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.