rsync (via Deltacopy) remote connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

roachkv

Dabbler
I'm trying to back up my Windows Homer Server system to an off site FreeNAS server (8.0.2).

I'm running Deltacopy on my WHS. I've set up the client side on WHS (the Deltacopy server is NOT running) and was able to successfully rsync to my FreeNAS box when I had it connected on my local network. Everything backed up as expected.

Once I moved the FreeNAS box off site, I can not connect. I can ssh to the FreeNAS box from my Mac and my android phone just fine.

I get the following output/errors from Deltacopy:

Executing: rsync.exe -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x "/cygdrive/D/shares/Public/" "root@***.***.***.34:***:<modulename>/Public/"
ssh: connect to host ***.***.***.34 port 22: Connection timed out

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/io.c(632) [sender=3.0.4]

Error in rsync protocol data stream
Rsync.exe returned an error. Will try again. This is retry number 1 of 5

Executing: rsync.exe -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x "/cygdrive/D/shares/Public/" "root@***.***.***.34:***:<modulename>/Public/"
Terminating running task upon user's request...
ssh: connect to host ***.***.***.34 port 22: Connection timed out

Profile '<profilename>' executed in 42453 milliseconds. It ran successfully.

Any thoughts and help?

jbach2003

Dabbler
I've been fighting this same issue. I can ssh in with cygwin, and if I uncheck 'Connect with SSH' in options tab, I'm able to get rsync to work. My bet is you're using ssh on a different port, other than 22?

roachkv

Dabbler
I do use a different port, but even using port 22 I had the same problems. I tried multiple iterations of rsync and ssh options to specify the port. All without success.

I disable "connect with ssh" and it works. So I'm stuck with that for now. Far from ideal.

jbach2003

Dabbler
If you're using a different port for SSH, try this command in Options tab:

-e "ssh -p PORT# serveraddress -l root -i nameofyoursshkey" where PORT# is your SSH port number. Make sure you have your ssh key saved into the deltacopy directory as well.

roachkv

Dabbler
Yep. Tried it. Still wouldn't work.

Since I got it working without ssh, I haven't kept UTD with FreeNAS. So I just noticed an update with rsync changes from my 8.0.2 release version. I'm going to update and see if that doesn't fix some issues.

jbach2003

Dabbler
The 'connection timed out' error you are getting there is Deltacopy still trying to use port 22 instead of whatever port you have setup on FreeNAS. If it works without SSH, then its not an Rsync error...but I'm in 8.0.4. I was able to get that command to work on XP, but not Windows 7. Try SSHing into the freenas box via cmd prompt...

cd \Deltacopy
ssh -p PORT# root@freenasaddress

Make sure that root has permissions, that your ssh key.pub is added to /.ssh/authorized_keys and you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.