The problem with the message by the rsync files larger than 10 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

radziwil

Cadet
Hi
I have a question about the copy of the data performed by the rsync protokol.
I make backup of MS Windows using DeltaCopy (rsync ver. 3.0.8) to a server installed FreeNAS 8.0.1.
All copies perform correctly, with the exception of large files.
When uploading a file larger than 10 GB I get the following message:

Code:
2011-10.BAK
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket [sender]: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.8-1/src/rsync-3.0.8/io.c(760) [sender=3.0.8]
Error in rsync protocol data stream
Rsync.exe returned an error. Will try again. This is retry number 1 of 5
Executing: rsync.exe  -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x --delete "/cygdrive/D/Bazy/" "192.168.144.30::BuchalterCZ1/Bazy/"
sending incremental file list

In the log (/var/log/messages) have an entry:

Code:
Oct 27 13:56:31 freenas rsyncd[17002]: rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)
Oct 27 13:56:31 freenas rsyncd[17002]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(760) [receiver=3.0.8]
Oct 27 13:56:32 freenas rsyncd[17002]: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (89 bytes received so far) [generator]
Oct 27 13:56:32 freenas rsyncd[17002]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [generator=3.0.8]

In the log on the local computer have an entry:

Code:
Executing: rsync.exe  -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x --delete "/cygdrive/D/Bazy/" "192.168.144.30::BuchalterCZ1/Bazy/"sending incremental file list
./
2011-10.BAK
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket [sender]: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.8-1/src/rsync-3.0.8/io.c(760) [sender=3.0.8]
Error in rsync protocol data streamRsync.exe returned an error. Will try again. This is retry number 1 of 5

An entry in the file rsyncd.conf max verbosity = 5 does not specify the record to the log.
On the drive to FreeNAS server have enough space to save the copied file.
I can not find a solution to my problem. I searched on FreeNAS forum, FAQ and documentation on rsync.samba.org and of course Google.
Where can I find a solution to my problem?

Darek

radziwil

Cadet
Another days of analysis and testing.
When I delete file on server and next I start rsync, all is good. When on server is file and I start rsync I get previously described the message.
This problem concerns only this one file independently of which computer I do a backup. Backup another file is performed good.
I tested option --delete-before, --delete-during, --delete-after and --inplace and I can't do good backup. I get a message:

Code:
building file list ... done
2011-10.BAK

Where can I find a solution to my problem?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try doing rsync from another FreeBSD (or FreeNAS or Linux) box with a 10GB file and see what happens. That'll tell you whether it's a FreeNAS problem or a DeltaCopy thing.

Durkatlon

Patron
It sounds like a version problem perhaps. There have been versions of rsync that had problems with large files in the past. Anecdotally I can tell you that I have synced a file that is over 100GB in size from one FreeNAS8 system to another , without any problems.

radziwil

Cadet
Durkatlon, synchronized file > 100 GB or copied? I mean, whether before synchronizing the FreeNAS server you have (> 100 GB) file?

I think, this is not a problem with FreeNAS or DeltaCopy because other files are copied correctly.
I think that if change the copied file, the problem should no longer be repeated. I will closely follow the daily back up the new file reaches the size of > 10 GB.

Durkatlon

Patron
The 100+GB file I have experience with used to reside on a local drive. I then copied it to one FreeNAS box (no problems) and a cron-initiated rsync copied it to my second box that night (no problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.