DeltaCopy permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

doglover

Dabbler
Hello.

I have been trying to get DeltaCopy server to write the proper permissions to my Windows XP box, without success. Apparently this is a common problem and I wonder if anyone has gotten this to work.

I have a FreeNAS 8.3 server which works great. My main PC is a Windows XP computer. I am trying to move all my data files off the PC and onto the server, and then use rsync on the server to back up to the PC. The backup works, but I can't access any of the files, a known problem. I have tried many of the posted suggestions:

1) Setting up the PC DeltaCopy server to sign on as Administrator
2) Adding to the deltacd.conf file on the PC side: incoming chmod = Fugo+rwx,Dugo+rwx
3) Setting the rsync FreeNAS side to preserve extended attributes caused the error below. I tried twice. Turning off the attribute allowed it to send again, though permissions remained problem.

--------------------
Aug 16 21:00:10 freenas rsync: rsync: extended attributes are not supported on this server
Aug 16 21:00:11 freenas rsync: rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/clientserver.c(840) [receiver=3.0.4]
Aug 16 21:00:11 freenas rsync: rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)
Aug 16 21:00:11 freenas rsync: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764) [sender=3.0.9]
--------------------

So, I am at a loss. Nothing is working for me. Has anyone gotten it to work? Suggestions?

Thanks,
IMF

doglover

Dabbler
Hi. This is so discouraging. This is the second time I have posted this question, and I have never gotten an answer. I am not sure if the question is too simple, or too hard, or too boring, or what. I posted it to the Deltacopy site, and didn't get an answer there either. What to do?
IMF

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I've read both of your questions. And there's 3 reasons why you haven't gotten a response:

1. Deltacopy is not part of FreeNAS, so trying to provide support for it is difficult. Additionally most of us aren't Windows users, so we can't even run a copy and try to help you out.
2. Rsync is fairly complex for a beginner to understand and use, while advanced users consider it rudimentary.
3. Permissions in FreeBSD and Linux is totally different from Windows. It's something that can't be easily troubleshot and fixed via a forum setting. It's something that you really have to grasp the fundamentals and apply them for your situation. Permissions are a major problem for many Windows users when they first start swimming in Linux and Unix world. It's that different.

The only advice I can give is to experiment until you get it right. It will require some work from you, and you may determine that the issue is with Deltacopy and it just won't do what you want it to do. I don't know.

I spent 3 days using Deltacopy in December and I wasn't a big fan(of course, I don't know of any alternatives either). It was easy to make work with FreeNAS, but its behavior was very odd and small things would cause it to fail(such as a non-english character in a filename) while doing rsync to rsync via 2 FreeNAS boxes was without any problems. Deltacopy was also very very slow, didn't always behave according to what I expected for the settings, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.