How to use RSYNC to Pull Data from Win Machine (Delta Copy Server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d2id2

Cadet
I was all excited to use Rsync to pull data from my windows machines. Saw the tutorial here-

http://dailycupoftech.com/windows-backup-with-rsync-and-freenas/
Looked pretty easy.

However when I installed FreeNAS 8.3 the "Rsyncd" tab is not there and no where is it clear how to do the same thing.

Now we have Rsync tasks under "system" and Rsync modules under "services"

How does one go about pulling data from the deltacopy virtual directory into a Rsync volume using 8.3?
(I have read the manual and its still not clear, the example given is freenas ---> freenas not win--->freenas and even so still not clear).

thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
that would be freenas .7 or earlier....completely different systems altogether.

d2id2

Cadet
yep, saw that link before.

do I want to do a "task" or "module" and what are the differences between the two?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS before 8.0 is NOT related to this project. You should go to the NAS4Free forums. But keep in mind that the guide you are using may not be useful at all since that guide is so old.

d2id2

Cadet
FreeNAS before 8.0 is NOT related to this project. You should go to the NAS4Free forums. But keep in mind that the guide you are using may not be useful at all since that guide is so old.

Yes. I am fully able to comprehend that the guide I linked to is out of date. I am not asking how to accomplish this with the older version. I want to do it with the latest version. Which is why I posted this topic. I am asking if there is a way to do the same thing using deltacopy with the current version. Again, I fully grasp that there is a freenas---->freenas guide for this as well.

Now we have both "modules" and "tasks" (some of which require modules) Please assist if you can at least to say a module or task is the right way to go.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes. I am fully able to comprehend that the guide I linked to is out of date. I am not asking how to accomplish this with the older version. I want to do it with the latest version. Which is why I posted this topic. I am asking if there is a way to do the same thing using deltacopy with the current version. Again, I fully grasp that there is a freenas---->freenas guide for this as well.

Never heard of deltacopy. I'm assuming that's a feature with the old FreeNAS....

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Never heard of deltacopy. I'm assuming that's a feature with the old FreeNAS....

deltacopy is an rsync server/client package for windows.

my setup consists of:
FreeNAS box with NFS share
a backup server, that runs backuppc, utilizing the NFS share (just a debian box whose sole purpose is backuppc)
this setup backs up all my linux boxes, as well as my windows boxes (using deltacopy)

You should be able to accomplish the same thing with rsync tasks on FreeNAS 8+, but since i have had my backuppc server in operation for so long, i have no desire to configure my FreeNAS box as my backup machine

note: I would prefer backuppc over straight rsync anyway simply because of the feature set. once you set up a backuppc server and play around with backups/restores, you probably wont want anything else.

PS. I will set something up tomorrow for a test. it looks pretty straightforward though.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
so i set up an RSYNC task on my FreeNAS box, configured it to PULL from one of my servers, and set the time. it worked, and was very straight forward.

it certainly wont be replacing my backuppc, but it does function in the manner you are looking for.

if you need help, i can probably share screenshots of my setup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Damn you OP! You jinxed me by mentioning Deltacopy. I just setup Deltacopy on my laptop as a PUSH to a FreeNAS VM. I had no problems switching and going the other way despite never using rsync before.

Woohoo for simplicity and the FreeNAS manual.

Now I'm hoping this can saturate my Gb LAN. I setup this as a test to see if I could get rsync to work because I'm about to go from 1 FreeNAS server to another... for 19TB of data. Shouldn't take much longer than "too damn long". LOL!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
noobsauce,
if you have some room for a 'production' VM and some extra space to spare, you should look at setting up a backuppc VM.

even backing up windows clients is automated, easy, and you have revisions+deduplication....i have saved my wife and son's PCs many a time because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.