Restore Freenas DB to another PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fede2222

Dabbler
Hi

I am moving the disks to another PC (2 Pools of 4 disks each, ZFS1), the actual PC is a Core i5 and is too much for the use. The "new" PC is a Pentium IV 2.8. Same memory (8GB) on the both PCs. The question is: if i backup the Freenas DB (via GUI) on the first PC and restore on the second PC, it works?... I assume that only keeps permissions, groups, etc... or it depends on hardware?

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Based on the information you provided all you need to do is move the hard drives over and the bootable USB flash drive, then boot the new computer up. Should be operating just fine. This is the beauty of FreeNAS as you are not tied to specific hardware and say a MB failure is easily overcome.

You should create a config backup but that gets saved to your machine you are running the GUI on, not the FreeNAS PC.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
It should just work. Only problem might be the network interface, if they use different drivers maybe you need to reconfigure it.

fede2222

Dabbler
joeschunk and William... you both right.

I move the usb and boot perfectly with all the pools online... only thing i need to do is reconfigure the network interface.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.