Replacement for Plex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea

Explorer
What are alternatives to Plex that run smoothly on FreeNAS? I have been an avid user of Plex for years now and recently setup a monster media server in a home theater rack with FreeNAS running Plex. I have a huge collection of Blu Ray movies, ripped in lossless MKV passthrough format. Some are 3D and 4K, which I don't think Plex supports. The big issues for me is that most of my rooms in the home are using PS4 as a console. Plex does not support Playstation at all anymore. They haven't added any of the features, like the Live TV/DVR, to the interface. I don't think they ever will. So I wanted to see if there were alternatives to Plex that function in the same way or even better that I can use instead. I have my media all stored in libraries already, so being able to just point a new media server application at that location would be ideal. Then I could keep Plex up just for the remote access or emergencies. Having options essentially.

Are there any streaming media server apps on FreeNAS that I can access from PS4, NVIDIA Shield, and Roku TV? Those are my 3 main streaming devices. I am looking for something that can stream 4K and HDR and all the good stuff. It would be great if it also included the Live TV functionality that Plex has with the HD Home Run and an antenna plugged in. I would also like the ability to set up libraries and set up collections and label multiple versions of the same movies (3D vs 2D, 4K vs 1080p, etc). Does something like this exist...and if so, what are the best options out there?

Guinea

Explorer
have a look at Emby. There are FreeBSD packages for it.
That is the one that keeps popping up in everyone's posts/suggestions. I will definitely look into this...it looks like a complete replacement for Plex altogether. As long as they actually support the PS4 and don't ignore it like Plex does, I am definitely liking what I see so far...

Ravenshield

Cadet
I am using Emby right now. Its not perfect but it has more of the features I am looking for then Plex has.
I like the interface for the Windows theatre to minimize what the users have access to.
Although some of the apps like the Android one seems buggy.

It's worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.