Replaced dying drive but only can replace the wrong /dev/da number

syruprise

Cadet
Hello freenas peoples!!!

I guess I'm one of those people who only posts when they have a problem. I'm gonna try to be thorough but I'm a little pressed for time and trying to figure this thing out.

I am replacing a dying disk in my system (it is consumer grade stuff):

FreeNAS 11.2-U5
ASUS Prime Z270-A
Intel 7700K
64GB G-skill TridentZ
8x 8TB WD80EMAZ drives (Including dying and replacement)
LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i (flashed to HBA)
Onboard networking

The WD80EMAZ drive that needed replacement gave me 8 Pending Sectors. From email:

* Device: /dev/da1 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Started to follow the documentation. I was able to OFFLINE the defective drive no problems. The pool is in degraded state and working. Wrote down serial number, shut down the system, triple checked it was the right drive, replaced the drive with a spare 8TB WD80EMAZ that was being used as secondary storage in main computer, and made sure to put the data cables back in proper order.

Boot back up and as documentation says go to Pools and Setting and to Replace disk. Defective drive was /dev/da1 but it seems that the LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i HBA or maybe freenas itself just skips the offlined drive and shows the replaced drive as /dev/da7 now and that is the only option of a drive to replace.

Only da7 as an option

Notable information is that I started with 4x 8TB drives and the now defective /dev/da1 was one of the original drives. Then later grew the pool to 8x drives once the original 4x pool was knocking on 60% which was a couple of months ago. I DID NOT take everything off the drives and replace it across the entire 8x drives. I kept everything as is and just grew the pool.

My concern is that if I just go ahead and replace the drive as da7 it would only be replacing the information that I had added since growing the pool. In the LSI HBA controller settings (pre-BIOS boot) i cannot find a way to force the drive to take a da1 designation.

I thought maybe I could Online the drive, then reboot, and maybe it would take a da0-3 designation. Then Offline it and replace it... but I don't know if that would majorly screw the replacement drive is blank. I also still have the original dying /dev/da1 that I could put back in the online then reoffline and replace with the new drive.

Does everything think it will be fine just to Replace as /dev/da7???? Just looking for thoughts as to what I should do? I will be able to provide further information later as I am already late for a family thing as I'm typing this up.

Thank you for any suggestions.

anmnz

Patron
ZFS doesn't rely on those "/dev/daX" designations. (It recognizes disks by metadata that it has written to the disk itself.) Those numbers are assigned by the operating system during startup, based (AFAIK) on the order in which it happens to see the disks, and all sorts of hardware changes can perturb that ordering. ZFS doesn't care. So if that's the only worry you have, I'd just ignore it and go ahead with the replacement.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@anmnz is correct, disregard the "/dev/daX" identifier and finish replacing your drive and resilver it.

syruprise

Cadet
Thank you very much. I didn't have much looking searching around for an answer and wanted to get a drive in there ASAP. I figured this was a non-issue but wanted to be sure before I went ahead.

Resilvering now.

Considered closed.

-Syrup