Drive order after replaced HDD

NasKar

Guru
I have 8 of 16 bays in my supermicro case being used. Before replacing a bad drive my setup was this

da0 da4
da1 da5
da2 da6
da3 da7
This made it easy to know which drive was in which bay. After my drive da2 was replaced I now have it being called da7

da0 da3
da1 da4
da7 da5
da2 da6

It's not a huge problem but was wondering if there is a way to make the drive # match the 0-3 on the left side and 4-7 on the right
HDD Status.jpg

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
NO, this won't be something you can easily control, but you may try a restart as drive name assignment happens dynamically at boot (and by the way is not fixed forever on each disk, so relying on it for labeling is a terrible idea).

If the SATA cables are plugged the same, you could see it go back to the original order with the reboot (again, don't rely on it for anything though, use serial numbers and physical labels if you don't want to make a mistake).

NasKar

Guru
NO, this won't be something you can easily control, but you may try a restart as drive name assignment happens dynamically at boot (and by the way is not fixed forever on each disk, so relying on it for labeling is a terrible idea).

If the SATA cables are plugged the same, you could see it go back to the original order with the reboot (again, don't rely on it for anything though, use serial numbers and physical labels if you don't want to make a mistake).
Will go with the old fashion technique of a paper taped to the top of the server with the serial numbers/ location