Renaming my SMB ?

tobiasrankin

Cadet
I want to change the name of my SMB share so that in windows explorer there is a different name when accessing my SMB. I see in the dashboard where I can change the name but my question is will that screw up all my media and my plex (I am using my main pc.. it has plex installed which is then accessing my NAS to serve me the files).

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That depends on how your main computer is accessing the share. But most likely yes, it will mess it up for other shares. Look at your Plex, see how it accesses your content. If it is not by SMB then it should not affect it.

tobiasrankin

Cadet
That depends on how your main computer is accessing the share. But most likely yes, it will mess it up for other shares. Look at your Plex, see how it accesses your content. If it is not by SMB then it should not affect it.

Like obviously Im pointing to the drive, my 'R' drive. But does the name of the drive change anything for plex? I don't know ? The file is in the same place. Its not like the directory is changing.

chuck32

Guru
If Plex is pointing to R: and not \\server\smb-name then it should not break anything.

You can rename the mapped drive in windows too. What is your goal?