Removing old "Dismissed" alerts

mcbionica

Cadet
Newbie user here, so here goes.

On one of my TrueNAS servers, in the Alerts list, I have an old alert that I would like to remove:
Cloud sync task "OneDrive Backup" failed.
5 Nov 2022 21:00:16 (Australia/Canberra)

This error had been dismissed, in fact I removed the OneDrive backup task not long after I got the alert, but it remains in my Alerts list. At the top of the list is the message "There are no alerts" and at the bottom is "Re-Open All Alerts". Not a biggie but an aesthetic annoyance.

Pretty sure this is not hardware-related (because this NAS is in its second system now - same hard drives, different everything else), but I'm running:
TrueNAS Core-13.0-U4
48GB RAM
4 x 8 TB disks in a RAID-Z1 for my Pool
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz

If anyone can either offer advice as to how I can remove it, or tell me I just have to wait and it will eventually remove itself that would be great.

Thanks heaps.

sammael

Explorer
Waiting will not help, I have an alert taller than the screen height with some python error from back in 2022 when middleware crashed stuck there and would love to remove it too.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can "try" this... I have no idea if it will work for you but I'd start by backing up your configuration file before doing anything.

I did test this out on my system and it worked, so far.
I did have to "Dismiss" my alerts before I performed the sqlite3 commands, otherwise the alerts showed back up after reboot.

After the sqlite3 commands I verified the data was removed, I then rebooted the system. After the reboot the only alert that remained was my pool upgrade warning, which is still a valid alert but a few other pestering alerts were now gone. The alerts were gone in TrueNAS Core 13-U4. Will it last? I have no idea. Give it a try.

My other thought was, if you perform this and the alerts are clear, backup your configuration file again, save it for "if" the alert comes back. If it comes back, restore the configuration file (assuming the system configuration has not changed) to see if the alert goes away. It's just a data point.

The other thing I was thinking, if the alert comes back, do this all over again but then save and restore the configuration file. Maybe it will overwrite the older file and leave all the old alerts behind. All just hair brained thoughts.

One would think that there would be an easy way to just delete all alerts.

I have another idea that is way outside the box and I'm not sure it's worth it but you could remove all the historical configuration backup files, do the stuff to delete the alerts, then maybe there would be no files left to restore the old alerts. I have an idea on how to do this but the first option is the safest by a long shot. Again, backup your TrueNAS configuration file first. I can't stress that enough.

Please post the results if you try this out.

sammael

Explorer
@joeshmuck Rebooting is not an option at the moment lest I face the wrath of the rest of the household, but I'll try to save some time to try this out when everyone's asleep. I agree there should be an easier way to dismiss alerts.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Better keep the family happy!

emmafrost1

Cadet
Since you mentioned you're running TrueNAS Core-13.0-U4, you can check for any updates by going to the "System" menu and selecting "Update." If an update is available, you can follow the installation instructions.