Alerts not triggered by removing a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killervette

Dabbler
I dont know if this is a bug or not, im very new to freenas. I have a ZFS Raidz1 with 3 drives. I physically disconnect a sata cable to remove the drive. The freenas webpage does not show any alerts. Viewing the drives in the area shows a drive as "unknown". The terminal screen on the server shows that it lost the ata device.

Is this normal? The array shows as healthy. It took a reboot to show the alert

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can confirm that this seems to be a problem. I pulled one drive out of a mirror. zpool status shows the state as ONLINE for the pool, but has a status note about an unrecoverable error. Oddly, the pulled drive shows as "ONLINE" as well, which is quite the amazing feat of wireless communications.

killervette

Dabbler
This bug really keeps me from switching my current setup to freenas. Without some sort of notification of a dead drive, I cant trust it. I dont want to have to restart the server every couple days just to see if my drive is bad. any eta on this?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It appears that the situation is eventually detected, possibly by a scrub, but I agree that this is undesirable. There was some more discussion of it on the bug tracker, I don't have the ticket number handy.

G

gcooper

It appears that the situation is eventually detected, possibly by a scrub, but I agree that this is undesirable. There was some more discussion of it on the bug tracker, I don't have the ticket number handy.

I think this is what you were looking for: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1066 . Either a zfs scrub or enough drive timeouts will cause the phantom drive to drop out of the zpool, but it could take a few days, depending on the machine usage.

Please note that not all chipsets support hotswap (in particular I know that older chipsets, pre-ICH7, couldn't do it).

What messages are you seeing on the console?

Also, I just had an epiphany on how this can be solved (not really elegantly, but it will do). I was reminded of a "hack" that someone at my old employer used to detect failed disks. I thought it was unnecessary, but now I understand why it was put in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.