Removed Disk from Pool and added bigger Samsung 980TB - not recognized

Thanks for not helping me to succeed.
I installed everything new on the new disks.
That's kind of the rub, like hopping on a gaming forum and asking for them to help you install Hitman 3 on a Storinator, the first question is who even has one??? If you're lucky they'll tell you an RTX 4090 is going to choke because you'll only have PCIe 3.0, get a real gaming rig. So, that's where we're at.

BUT, I'm glad a re-install got you up and running. I'll note there is a remote chance at some point something will go wrong at just the wrong time and you could lose all your data. We haven't seen AMD StoreMI do that, but it's similar enough to other technology that has, so just a friendly heads-up.*

*Note in rough terms it's due to how AMD StoreMI is designed for very-high-speed single-user performance, whereas TrueNAS is designed for highly-parallel hundred-plus-users Datacenter workloads, and the two being incompatible. Yeah, at times there's enough overlap that things might work, but that's like watercross without a purpose-built sled--doable, but...

Here's a video from Wisconsin (where I'm from) on that:

And a bit of reality:

artlessknave

Wizard
Thanks for not helping me to succeed.
your initial description was that the drive is disappearing. it took one of the members to work with you to determine that that wasn't quite the issue. intermittent hardware does occur.

our points about the sub-obtimal hardware still stand, but it's good you were able to resolve it.

technically, you should be able to remove mirror and stripe vdevs, but it's not exposed to the webUI, and is not the easiest thing to do.
rebuilding is the best route if you have no real data on it.

one thing that is very important to remember is that everyone here are volunteers, donating their time, and few like to re-diagnose the same issues over and over again, when those issues can be largely completely avoided by following relatively simple recommendations.

SKB

Dabbler
your initial description was that the drive is disappearing. it took one of the members to work with you to determine that that wasn't quite the issue. intermittent hardware does occur.

our points about the sub-obtimal hardware still stand, but it's good you were able to resolve it.

technically, you should be able to remove mirror and stripe vdevs, but it's not exposed to the webUI, and is not the easiest thing to do.
rebuilding is the best route if you have no real data on it.

one thing that is very important to remember is that everyone here are volunteers, donating their time, and few like to re-diagnose the same issues over and over again, when those issues can be largely completely avoided by following relatively simple recommendations.
A good Thing was, that I have had some backups of config files. So, I only needed to reinstall some virtual machines. Next step will be a better backup strategy for them.

For a 3-5 User FreeNAS/TrueNAS I am not buying any special hardware, which costs tons of money.
This is a private system - if you or other do need that stuff, go for it. I don't need the biggest board in town.

I was only asking 2 simple questions:
- why was the drive not showing up
- how to remove it from a striped vdev

Only help I got, was to buy new hardware.

Like "I have an accident with my car, because I didn't see the person in front of me brakes"

Instead of telling me, I should not drive, when tired - you told me, to buy a car with assistance emergency braking system.

artlessknave

Wizard
you can get a fully TrueNAS recommended hardware system from ebay for 200-300$. that is not "tons of money". these typically last almost forever.
x9scm
e3-1230
32GB RAM.
IPMI, 2x intel NICs, 4 x8 PCIe slots

again, the forums are a free place to ask for help. there is nothing guaranteeing any of us will be able to fix it, and diagnosing over text can be really difficult.

your initial post looked like a genuine hardware issue to me. hardware issues are generally solved one way; replace the hardware or check that there isn't a setting causing issues. I pointed out the setting I first believed might be the issue, which you then rebutted as to why you didn't think that was the case. and I didn't disagree because it seemed reasonable but nothing else I could think of fit what you were describing.

you then began talking about partitioning the drives which is not the correct direction from that point.

when I was no longer sure what else to suggest, I made it clear I couldn't see anything but a hardware issue, and stated that if anyone else is interested in trying to help they should do so.

fortunately, someone did, and they were able to help you find the problem, which sounds like it was user error.

you can't really expect more from free help, and aren't entitled to it beyond what someone chooses to do.