Redundant UPS?

Exhorder

Explorer
Hi,

I want to add redundant UPS to my FreeNAS server. Actually the UPS is already there, but of course I also want to shutdown FreeNAS (and other connected servers) when battery is low.

Overview:
redundant-ups.png

There are two UPS, each connected to it's own RCD. The UPS are powering several servers, each with redundant PSU. So maybe server X runs FreeNAS, server Y runs some Linux and server Z runs whatever else.
My idea was adding SNMP cards to both UPS and let all servers query battery state over network. If battery runs low, all servers should shut down. Will this work or am I missing something?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Will this work or am I missing something?
Which battery? if you have low battery on UPS 1 and full battery on UPS 2, do you want your servers shutting down?

You may find you can use USB from each of the UPS units to a server and then use NUT to publish the UPS state to the network from the connected server(s). I use that method with success, but don't connect 2 UPS to the same server.

Exhorder

Explorer
The perfect solution of course would be to shutdown only if both batteries are low. But that's not possible with the settings in FreeNAS web interface. It may be possible with running NUT in a jail or VM though. Any info about this would be appreciated.
EDIT: NUT can handle this: https://networkupstools.org/features.html "upsmon won’t initiate a shutdown until the total power situation across all source UPSes becomes critical (on battery and low battery). "

But also watching UPS 1 only would not be a huge problem:
* In the event when the whole site has a power outage (UPS 1 & 2 run on battery), the battery drain on both UPS will be roughly the same.
* In the case of mainteance or failure on UPS 1 of course it would be nice to have unlimited time while running on UPS 2.

How do others take care of this? Redundant PSUs are not that unlikely in a FreeNAS.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It may be possible with running NUT in a jail or VM though. Any info about this would be appreciated.
I run it in a jail.

I think it was as simple as pkg install nut or something like that, then just editing the config files. Happy to provide a bit more help if needed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I run it in a jail.

I think it was as simple as pkg install nut or something like that, then just editing the config files. Happy to provide a bit more help if needed.
Can nut actually monitor a USB device and shutdown the server from inside a jail?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can nut actually monitor a USB device and shutdown the server from inside a jail?
I'm actually not using it that way, rather with USB on other boxes and NUT querying those.

The theory goes that with the right devfs_ruleset, you can pass the USB through to a jail, so I would be doing that if I had the need.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
and shutdown the server from inside a jail?
Just understood that part of the question... actually what you do is have the FreeNAS host configured as a slave to look at NUT on the Jail IP and NUT port, then it's FreeNAS (UPS service) that does the shutting down on its own.

Exhorder

Explorer
Just understood that part of the question... actually what you do is have the FreeNAS host configured as a slave to look at NUT on the Jail IP and NUT port, then it's FreeNAS (UPS service) that does the shutting down on its own.
I can set up a VM that monitors both UPS and using upsmon inside the VM it can shutdown itself when both UPS are on low battery. But how can I do this in the FreeNAS web interface? There I can still just monitor a single UPS as slave.

Seems the only way to do it is if the VM issues the shutdown command to the FreeNAS host via ssh.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

It may take a little doing with some scripts on your NUT server to set the condition that you want for the dummy based on the overall status, but FreeNAS would look only at the dummy.

Exhorder

Explorer
Well, next question: If i chose "Slave" in FreeNAS:
2020-04-02 16_50_28-FreeNAS - 10.0.60.60.png

"Remote Host" and "Remot Port" is connection to the NUT master server.
But what about "Driver" and "Port"? My impression was that I should just enter the UPS name on the NUT server?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's s strange thing... on a server where I have no UPS config, if I enter the config page and select slave, driver disappears.

On another server that has been configured before as master, when changing to slave, the driver option remains.

I'm not exactly sure what to do about that... It seems to work as expected on the new config.

Exhorder

Explorer
So you just get: Identifier (name of the UPS on the NUT server), Remote Host (NUT Server) and Remote Port? This is what I would have expected, too.

sretalla