BUILD Recommend configuration for hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Hi I got a used FreeNAS mini shipped to me. I am looking for a good ways to configure it. Especially what RAID for ZFS I should use. I ready everything in Cyberjock's FreeNAS guide, but not sure how should I organize my hard drives.

Motherboard: C2750D41 ASRock Intel Avoton C2750
Memory: 8gb x 2 Samsung 8gb 2rx8 Pc3l-12800e ECC

Hard drive: WD RED NAS 8 TB x 3, WD RED white label 8 TB x 1.
External hard drive: 1 seagate 4TB with USB 3.0

FreeNAS Mini can fit 4 drive, ideally 6 TB drives. 8TB maybe too hot for it. I think I can put maximum three 8 TB drives in it so it won't heat up too bad. (I also plan to add a fan in front.)

My plan usage:
1. shared drive for home computers and mobile device
2. Plex server for streaming. Will allow streaming for outside home.
3. TimeMachine for backups for two Macs at home.
4. Able to protect against disk failure, so support redundancy (means backup?)
5. Able to expend storage and redundancy easily in the future.

Question:
How many drives should I use(let's say I am happy with 16 GB)? I like to put a three RED drives and leave some space in case of over heating. (three, just because I have three anyways.)
What kind or RAID should I use? Do I have to format all drive to ZFS?
1GB ram to 1TB storage rule: does that mean I should only have 8 TB x 2 drive? If I chose three RED drives, I better get more RAM? Even if my use is under 16 TB.

Thanks for helping,
-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Guru
You're overthinking things. I would put 4 8TB or 10TB drives in there, run them in RAID-Z2 (Z1 is dead for large drives), and be happy.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would put 4 8TB or 10TB drives in there, run them in RAID-Z2 (Z1 is dead for large drives), and be happy.
Yep, pretty much this. An alternative would be striped mirrors, but you don't have room to add more drives in a Mini anyway, and you already have the four.
Do I have to format all drive to ZFS?
Yes.
1GB ram to 1TB storage rule:
A very rough, and deliberately vague, rule of thumb. Your current 16 GB of RAM is likely fine. If you find otherwise, add more, but you'll be fine to start in any case.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.