Receive volume and convert it

ggiinnoo

Dabbler
I am trying to Find a good way to create a backup of my block storage pool.

Currently i used a snapshot to create a new ( i thought ) filesystem. but no, it imported it as a volume. The original is a volume btw.

Code:
zfs send 'vol/DATA@auto-2022-09-27_14-10' | zfs receive 'vol/Restore/DATA'

The original volume is mounted on a computer with ISCSI, but what i would want is to import the data into a new dataset and then use the `Cloud Sync Tasks` To create the backups. But i cannot seemd to get it imported correctly to at least view the data.

Is this the wrong way of using a ntfs block device, or am i missing something small.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you're looking for the clone action:

ggiinnoo

Dabbler
I thought so to. But the problem is that it clones it to a volume type. And want i would want is a filesystem type that is mountable.

That way i can create incremental backups of it, without pushing ( for now, will be more ) pushing 1Tib to the cloud

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
And want i would want is a filesystem type that is mountable.
TrueNAS doesn't provide that option directly.

You can use it as a disk presented to a VM and do your work in the VM.

I note that there may be an option which would be along the lines of the solutions in this linked article (which is for linux, so may need some consideration for command syntax):

I have not personally tested it, so have no idea if it can work.

Last edited:

ggiinnoo

Dabbler
That might be a solution, but it needs to be automated.
Once or preferably 4 times per week.

I also checked if there is a way to convert it, but that also seems that isn't a option, or i'm looking at it wrong.

sretalla