Reboot doesn't work. It's stuck in shell. Shutdown + Startup works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

addic7ed

Cadet
Hey,

Recently got myself a FreeNAS setup. Running 9.1 RELEASE.
One problem though, I cannot use the reboot feature. If I click 'Reboot' in the web GUI, it shuts down, but when it starts up again it enters some shell window with yellow text. (I plugged a monitor into the server to see why it didn't boot). Web GUI, SSH or anything doesn't work while it's stuck in there.

However, if I shut it down manually by pressing the button and powering it on again, everything is working well again. Web GUI works, SSH works and if I plug a monitor into the screen it shows the FreeNAS setup options.

Why doesn't reboot work?! Everytime I have to reboot it, I must click shutdown in the GUI and physically press the button to power it again.

I'm using a Transcend 780 8gb Jetflash USB 3.0 device for boot in a USB 3.0 port on a Supermicro motherboard with an Ivy Bridge CPU and ECC ram.

gpsguy

Seeing a picture would be helpful. I'm sure that's why you haven't gotten a reply in nearly a week.

I have a silver vehicle - can you tell me the make/model? Of course, not. If I took a picture of it, you could tell me.

If I click 'Reboot' in the web GUI, it shuts down, but when it starts up again it enters some shell window with yellow text.

Try a USB 2.0 port. For booting FreeNAS, the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 won't matter. Try this first.

I'm using a Transcend 780 8gb Jetflash USB 3.0 device for boot in a USB 3.0 port on a Supermicro motherboard with an Ivy Bridge CPU and ECC ram.

Whattteva

Wizard
Could be corrupted stick. I had this problem few days ago, only much more severe (ie. the NAS wouldn't boot at all).
I tried a bunch of things to troubleshoot it to no avail. I resorted to just re-imaging the drive.

In hindsight, I could've saved a lot of time and trouble if I had just re-imaged the stick in the first place.
You do have your configuration backed up, don't you? Reimaging and restoring configuration takes like 10 minutes at most.

addic7ed

Cadet
Could be corrupted stick. I had this problem few days ago, only much more severe (ie. the NAS wouldn't boot at all).
I tried a bunch of things to troubleshoot it to no avail. I resorted to just re-imaging the drive.

In hindsight, I could've saved a lot of time and trouble if I had just re-imaged the stick in the first place.
You do have your configuration backed up, don't you? Reimaging and restoring configuration takes like 10 minutes at most.

Yep. I've got a backup of the config. I've re-imaged the USB when I went from RC1 to RC2 and from RC2 to Stable. So not sure what the problem is. It's only happening if I use the "reboot" button in the web UI. I can shutdown and start i physically just fine.

gpsguy

Did you try the stick in a USB 2.0 slot, as I suggested?

Also, you might want to test by disabling USB 3.0 support, with a tunable. See the known issues.

addic7ed

Cadet
Did you try the stick in a USB 2.0 slot, as I suggested?

Also, you might want to test by disabling USB 3.0 support, with a tunable. See the known issues.
Got a chance today to test the USB in a USB 2.0 port.
Oddly enough, it worked! Now I can reboot using the GUI without it being stuck in shell.

So I guess there's a bug using USB 3.0 and reboot?

Yatti420

Wizard
Mine is working fine.. Except for my cronjob not shutting the system down fully..

STRAMIGIOLIS

Dabbler
Keywords: reboot, shutdown does not work

I am having a similar problem and spent hours and hours to solve it thinking it was a BIOS problem, but I am now sure it is FreeNAS. Every time I try either to shutdown or reboot, the system does not send the power off to the power supply and I have to physically switch off the machine, which is not really handy for a server. I though it was a BIOS setting and tried to upgrade firmware and all possible configurations, but then I tried to run UBUNTU a make a reboot from there and it works like a charm. It stops as shown hereafter. I am using a AMS Semptron 64bits with ALiveNF6G-VSTA BIOS P2.20. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Stefano

FreeNAS-Shutdown.jpg

Yatti420

Wizard
Mine is a little weirder.. I see you have a Lacie plugged in.. Not my fav.. It looks like its freezing whatever comes after it..

With my setup everything works as intended except for cronjob.. My friend says he's not turning the system back on.. As far as I know it cycles down.. and does a restart instead of a shutdown -p now.. but only sometimes..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Try doing a shutdown with your cronjob(or whatever should work but doesn't) and don't connect the LaCie drive.

STRAMIGIOLIS

Dabbler
If I disconnect the Lacie I get the same error with the Drive which is still connected. This means there is something wrong in the shutdown procedure for the external drives I am afraid:

IMG_2359.jpg

mart

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new to Freenas but have exactly the same error using an external USB drive.
On first instance 9.1.1 it configures beautifully installing from CD, the anonymous acces using CIFS works great, until the NAS is powered down. That is, it cannot be powered down, it hangs at exactly the same place as shown in the above picture.
Funny thing is when I configure Freenas 9.1.1 to using USF iso ZFS (usings ufs legacy manager) then the nas powers down nicely, but on power up my data is gone. Looking at the drive it then is recognized as an ZFS drive with no data, which makes me assume that although configured as ufs somehown this is not stored.
I get an memory error message and in an attemp to change at boot/defaults/loader.conf the field #hw.physmem="1G" I cannot save this updated file. Other fields to change are mentioned at:

forums.freenas.org/threads/how-i-did-zfs-through-freenas-on-a-32bit-proc-with-low-memory.3606/

so that would be a good second try. However I cannot save the file.
In
doc.freenas.org/index.php/FAQs#Whenever_I_make_changes_to_config_files_or_settings_on_the_root_filesystem_.27.2F.27_they_keep_disappearing_after_a_reboot.2C_why.3F

it is explained to change the read-only mode of the boot device (for me a usb stick) using > mount -uw /dev/da0 - but although no error message I still cannot save the file
A little Googling didn't show new ways of making the usb boot stick writeable.
So if anybody has a workaround please can you share.
Thanks,
Martin

PS: it's a small computer, Fujitsi Siemens, Futro S400, 512MB (does not take more), just for simple file server purposes at home, AMD. Maybe I should revert to an older version, say try FreeNAS v8?

Dusan

Guru
[USER]STRAMIGIOLIS[/USER], there seems to be a problem with ZFS on USB drives in FreeBSD 9.1. This should help: sysctl hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1

Status
Not open for further replies.