"Shutdown" doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
FreeNAS 9.3; Supermicro X10SL7-F.

Neither the Shutdown button in the GUI nor the Shutdown option on the console menu shuts the machine down: both cause the machine to reboot.

This would be only a minor inconvenience, except... when the power fails and the UPS tries to shut down the system, it will reboot instead, which doesn't do a whole lot of good.

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Z300M

Guru

Z300M

Guru
The bug-fix gurus said that shutdown works on all their systems, so I contacted Supermicro Tech Support, who replied that updating the IPMI firmware may require updating the BIOS as well. I had updated the IPMI firmware to ver. 1.42 but hadn't bothered updating the BIOS from the original 1.1 with which it came because I'm not using a Haswell Refresh CPU. I've updated the BIOS to ver. 2.0, and now it powers off and stays off.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Now you see why I harp on BIOS updates, even if you don't think they are important. ;)

Z300M

Guru
Now you see why I harp on BIOS updates, even if you don't think they are important. ;)
I had never seen any public recommendation by Supermicro to update the BIOS along with the IPMI firmware: OTOH, all over the place they say not to update either unless it fixes a problem one is experiencing. So I had updated the IPMI firmware because it dealt with the error messages I had seen with the earlier version, but I had only recently noticed the no-shutdown problem and would not have thought of a connection with "mismatched" BIOS and IPMI firmware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I had never seen any public recommendation by Supermicro to update the BIOS along with the IPMI firmware: OTOH, all over the place they say not to update either unless it fixes a problem one is experiencing. So I had updated the IPMI firmware because it dealt with the error messages I had seen with the earlier version, but I had only recently noticed the no-shutdown problem and would not have thought of a connection with "mismatched" BIOS and IPMI firmware.

Yeah, but that's one of those things the lawyers say that they have to say. If Supermicro said "updates are recommended if an update exists" and then you bricked your motherboard, they don't want to be responsible for the end result. But if you know someone personally that is involved with making firmwares, bioses, etc they almost always recommend you run the latest stuff. ;)

kyp

Explorer
I'm experiencing this same issue in FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604261518 (881b70d).
I've got an identical mobo as the originally poster (Supermicro X10SL7-F) but with BIOS version: 3.0a and IPMI firmware version: 03.27.
This is the latest BIOS and IPMI version.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
The behavior is a bit inconsistent; there are instances where system shuts down as expected.

Last edited:

Jacopx

Patron
I Have the same problem with a Supermicro X9SRA with the same release, I have temporarily solved my problem removing my failover link aggregation, I'M NOT SURE that this problems are linked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyp

Explorer
Very strange, I don't have any failover link aggregation set up.

74m

Explorer
I'm experiencing this same issue in FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604261518 (881b70d).
I've got an identical mobo as the originally poster (Supermicro X10SL7-F) but with BIOS version: 3.0a and IPMI firmware version: 03.27.
This is the latest BIOS and IPMI version.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
The behavior is a bit inconsistent; there are instances where system shuts down as expected.

I'm fighting with the same problem. I'm using the X10SL7-F, and I have the latest IPMI and BIOS versions installed too...
As I described here, the reboot will only affect when my server is working (or idling) for more than about 40 minutes. If I try a shutdown immediately after the unwanted reboot, the server shut down correctly.

This is very annoying...

kyp

Explorer
It is extremely annoying.
Have you raised the issue with Supermicro directly?
Bug# 8107 seems was fixed by BIOS update. I'm wondering whether this was indeed the cause or if it is FreeNAS / FreeBSD related?
Maybe bug was re-introduced with newer BIOS version?

74m

Explorer
No, i did not contacted the Supermicro Support, but maybe this is a good idea?!

I will do this in the next days and let you know what they said. If you solve this bug in the meantime, please inform us here! :)

kyp

Explorer
Thanks, please keep me informed also.
Fyi, I've posted some questions to developers on Bug# 14537 - fix for this bug might be related to current issue.

74m

Explorer
I think the Supermicro support was not helpful. They said I should try to blacklisting "mei". I've read this before, but as you can see this helped some people with a bug where the system wont reboot but always does a shutdown. Otherwise the support recommended that I verify the issue in Windows... :confused:

I dont think that this "mei blacklisting" will help us... I even dont know where to do this (Tunable in the GUI?) and for what exactly this "mei" is good for.

kyp

Explorer
Thanks for your feedback. If possible, could you please try with FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201604261518?
Do you have a particular BIOS setting enabled/disabled?
Only changes from default that I've done is boot priority and power button functionality.

kyp

Explorer
Thanks, much appreciated. If possible, could you then do a few tests with short (< 1 hr) and long uptimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.