RAM: Over Half Free?

dnilgreb

Contributor
I recently switched to the TrueNAS(Core) train and am running 12.0-RELEASE on both my boxes now. It works fine on both, but I have an inconsistency that I would like to investigate a little bit.

My primary NAS is running on 32GB ECC RAM och contains 6x 4TB. Here I have 1.6 GB free RAM. This is what I expect.

My secondary NAS is running on 16GB RAM, non-ECC, and contains only 2x 2TB. On this one I have over 9GB free RAM. This seems strange to me, shouldn´t this one also put most of the installed RAM to work? Would it have anything to do with the fact that there is a lot less storage installed? Or could something be just plain wrong?

l have no Tunables to speak of on either of them, only vfs.usermount to allow snapshot replication from a non-root user. I have this on both of them.
Since I haven´t noticed this before, I couldn´t say if it was like this before the upgrade or not, and I can also not acess Reporting / Memory on either one of them. I just get a blank page after selecting Memory (or anything else other than CPU) in the dropdown.

Any thoughts?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to read about how FreeBSD utilizes RAM. There are a lot of posting on concerns about RAM usage and 99.9% if not all are really not understanding how it's utilized. I'd recommend you do a search for FreeBSD and Memory Utilization on the internet, or something similar. The only time I'd say someone should be concerned is when SWAP space start getting used routinely, that means you ran out of RAM.

Good luck

sretalla