Correct way to upgrade RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshine

Dabbler
I've been running 16gb non ECC ram for the past month, but I will upgrade to 16gb ECC ram now.

My question is in regards to the actual process of upgrading. I'm not sure if this is a trivial question or not. Is it ok to simply shutdown the server, disconnect the power supply, and then replace the non-ECC ram with ECC ram? Specifically, I'm not clear as to whether the physical switch will cause problems/corrupt my data. I have been unable to find any literature specifying a specific hardware procedure upgrade (w/ exception of HDD upgrades). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System:
Asrock C2550D4I
5x 3TB WD Red
16gb non-ECC ram

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, as the above, but...

You did not list your CPU. Does it work with ECC memory?

He did, by way of his motherboard - Asrock C2550D4I. That's an Avoton Atom board, ECC is fully supported. I'm more surprised it supported the non-ECC in the first place.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
He did, by way of his motherboard - Asrock C2550D4I. That's an Avoton Atom board, ECC is fully supported. I'm more surprised it supported the non-ECC in the first place.
No technical reason why it shouldn't work. Might not be validated, but if everything is within spec, it'll work.

moonshine

Dabbler
Yepp. No problems. Successfully upgraded to recommended specs. 16gb of ecc. May just buy another pair and go for 32! Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.