Bizzare BIOS behavior with regard to RAM ECC mode

vvatermelone

Cadet
Hi all. I currently have this motherboard with 2x "Super Talent 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800E 240-Pin ECC Unbuffered UDIMM Ram" ram. CPU is an E3-1230 V2. BIOS version 2.3

I'm running into a strange issue, where upon any reboot of the system causes the RAM to drop into non-ECC mode as follows:

PXL_20201112_193258962.jpg

I cannot find a setting anywhere within the BIOS to alter this setting, the only remedy is to clear the CMOS. Which does work, but only until I have to reboot again, where it drops back into non-ECC mode. The BIOS is updated to the newest version as well, so I'm a bit stuck as to where to go next. Granted, I usually only take it down every 6 months or so but it's a pain hooking up a monitor every time just to validate the ECC status.

Testing the ECC functions with the full version of Memtest yielded no errors, so I'm fairly confident that the RAM I have truly is capable of operating in ECC mode. I'm truly stumped, I have never seen this kind of behavior before, and based on the searches I've made through various forums, neither has anyone else.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matty

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi all. I currently have this motherboard with 2x "Super Talent 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800E 240-Pin ECC Unbuffered UDIMM Ram" ram. CPU is an E3-1230 V2. BIOS version 2.3

I'm running into a strange issue, where upon any reboot of the system causes the RAM to drop into non-ECC mode as follows:

View attachment 42899

I cannot find a setting anywhere within the BIOS to alter this setting, the only remedy is to clear the CMOS. Which does work, but only until I have to reboot again, where it drops back into non-ECC mode. The BIOS is updated to the newest version as well, so I'm a bit stuck as to where to go next. Granted, I usually only take it down every 6 months or so but it's a pain hooking up a monitor every time just to validate the ECC status.

Testing the ECC functions with the full version of Memtest yielded no errors, so I'm fairly confident that the RAM I have truly is capable of operating in ECC mode. I'm truly stumped, I have never seen this kind of behavior before, and based on the searches I've made through various forums, neither has anyone else.

Thanks!

Matty

Can you please attach a picture of the memory modules.

Redcoat

MVP
I have 2 systems, same motherboard, same processor, same bios version, just rebooted them both to check that info - they both have 32GB ECC but I don't have the part numbers - neither has ever shown the issue you are experiencing - I confirm that there is nowhere in the BIOS that I could find to switch to a non-ECC mode.
You may have more confidence in Memtest than I do...
Good luck with the hunt for whatever ails you!

vvatermelone

Cadet
I have 2 systems, same motherboard, same processor, same bios version, just rebooted them both to check that info - they both have 32GB ECC but I don't have the part numbers - neither has ever shown the issue you are experiencing - I confirm that there is nowhere in the BIOS that I could find to switch to a non-ECC mode.
You may have more confidence in Memtest than I do...
Good luck with the hunt for whatever ails you!
Thanks, appreciate the effort. I've just bought some new ram (this time ones that are actually on the SuperMicro's RAM QVL, hopefully that will do the trick.