Considerations when buying non-ECC RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

someuser77

Dabbler
Hello,

So apparently I'm in need of a RAM upgrade and considering my motherboard does not support ECC:
# dmidecode -t memory
Supported Memory Types:
Standard
DIMM
Memory Module Voltage: 2.9 V
I'm forced to pick non-ECC memory and my question is what should I take into account when buying RAM.
Most DIMMs I see are clocked higher than my board (1066/1333) but I understand its not an issue.
What about CAS? Is there a minimum I should aim for or is it negligible considering its for home use and the load shouldn't be too high compared to an office/enterprise?

Why not change out the motherboard and CPU + new RAM and do it right? Rather then keep adding band-aids and patching

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello,

So apparently I'm in need of a RAM upgrade and considering my motherboard does not support ECC:

I'm forced to pick non-ECC memory and my question is what should I take into account when buying RAM.
Most DIMMs I see are clocked higher than my board (1066/1333) but I understand its not an issue.
What about CAS? Is there a minimum I should aim for or is it negligible considering its for home use and the load shouldn't be too high compared to an office/enterprise?
Not much to consider other than making sure the memory you choose is from a good company and on your motherboards supported list.

someuser77

Dabbler
Why not change out the motherboard and CPU + new RAM and do it right? Rather then keep adding band-aids and patching
Well, mostly because new RAM will cost me less than new RAM+Motherboard+CPU.
Considering its for home use I reckoned I don't need any state of the art hardware, am I wrong in my assumption?
Not much to consider other than making sure the memory you choose is from a good company and on your motherboards supported list.
Thanks! I'll take a look at the list on the site.

marbus90

Guru
A friend uses this board with unbuffered ECC DIMM, I think he used the Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B kit. You won't use the actual ECC function, but they'll work.

If you want to keep your data safe, you better stick to the recommendations.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Considering its for home use I reckoned I don't need any state of the art hardware, am I wrong in my assumption?

Yes because the question is more "Is my data important?" whether it's a home or an enterprise system ;)

DataKeeper

Patron
... Considering its for home use I reckoned I don't need any state of the art hardware, am I wrong in my assumption? ...

ECC is not state of the art hardware. Also, whats '"for home use" have to do with data protection? If you want to protect your data use ECC.. if you want to store your data and don't care about it use non-ECC ram.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

You don't need state of the art hardware. You need hardware that's known to work well and that provides the things FreeNAS needs to protect your data. Many forum members are happily running Sandy Bridge era Xeons (~2010-2011) and I'd put one of those up against current E3 v3's any day. Not *quite* as fast but more than good enough!

The problem with the E-350 is that it was barely sufficient at the time to run old versions of FreeNAS, and in the intervening half a decade, the bar for "low end CPU" increased dramatically, as well as the requirements for ZFS and FreeNAS going up a little. You also lose out on ECC.

someuser77

Dabbler
I would like to thank you all for commenting on my question.
Reading online and here I understand I'm at risk when running with non-ECC RAM.
Resolving it will take me a while as it will require replacing my box with new hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Considerations when buying non-ECC RAM

• The sharpness of the dagger when you are backstabbed by your server and you lose your data.
  • The size of the wall when you are banging your head against it trying desperately to get your data back.
  • The cost of the divorce proceedings you'll go through when you lost the only copy of the marriage pictures.
  • The emotional cost of knowing you didn't listen to us the first time and spent a little extra money to prevent the above three things from happening.
  • The reality of accepting you had to turn in your geek card because you lost data (something a true geek would never allow to happen).

I think that sums it up. Anyone know of anything I'm missing?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Listening to Cyberjock saying I told you so!

How could I forget something that is so obvious it could have hit me in the face while typing it? ;)

marbus90

Guru
Seems that you need to lash out on the guy maintaining the FreeNAS community facebook page. Seeing Non-ECC as recommended NAS build... *shakes head*

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Seems that you need to lash out on the guy maintaining the FreeNAS community facebook page. Seeing Non-ECC as recommended NAS build... *shakes head*

Direct group link please, I'll bookmark it for later when I'm drunk and angry.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Searching "FreeNAS" from FB didn't give me that in the results, only "FreeNAS" as a subject of discussion.

And scrolling briefly down the page I'm happy to see some comments calling out the poor motherboard/non-ECC RAM choices.

(But I'll still take that beer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.