Exact ECC Ram compatibility for specific motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarzob

Dabbler
I purchased a bunch of hardware for two different FreeNAS boxes recently. Previously I had never bought any server equipment, and therefore had not known that motherboards accept only certain types of ECC Ram. I know it's a stupid question, but I already bought 16GB of non-compatible RAM, and considering how expensive RAM is these days I want to be absolutely certain it will be compatible.

I currently have the two motherboards:
- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
- ASUS M5A97 R2.0

The two motherboards say they support "DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory". The only modules that I *think* are compatible, in stock, and can be found nationally are:

- Crucial DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz ECC CL9 8GB (CT102472BD1339)
- Crucial DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz ECC 8GB (CT102472BD160B)

These are not listed under the hardware compatibility lists that I've found, but if I understand correctly, most hardware compatibility lists are not 100% complete of every single part that would be able to be used for each board.

Will these modules work with these two motherboards? Sorry for such a newbie question. It's just a very specific question that I can't find elsewhere online, and I'm (probably unnecessarily) worried that I'll buy them and find out they aren't be compatible.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, you are kind of on your own. As neither of those are Intel based and this forum is 99% Intel you are in no-mans-land. I'm going to move this to off-topic since it's not directly related to FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Theoretically, any unbuffered DDR3 (at whatever voltage is supported - newer Intel processors don't support 1.65V, for instance) DIMM should work. Recent experiences unfortunately show that "theoretically" is the keyword here (The Kingston and Supermicro X10 debacle...).

mull3r

Cadet
hi sorry, to start an old thread,
im posing the question to zarzob, im in the same dialemma.
i went ahead and ordered one of the crucial rams CT102472BD160B , for my amd freenas. will it work

Status
Not open for further replies.