Did I buy the wrong ECC RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a strong background with desktop hardware but I have never configured a server before. A couple of months ago I found a good deal on a Lenovo ThinkServer TD340. It only had 8 GB of RAM so I hopped on Kingston's website to find some compatible memory and ordered two 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Server Memory Model KTL-TS316LV/16G. I installed it and everything has been running fine but I recently read through the TD340 user manual in detail and I'm worried that I may not be getting the benefit of the ECC memory. Here's what the user manual says:

Memory module installation rules:
Your server has 12 memory slots and it has the following features:
• Each slot supports 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB double data rate 3 low-voltage registered dual inline
memory modules (DDR3 LV RDIMMs).
• Each slot supports 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB DDR3 RDIMMs.
• Each slot supports 2 GB and 4 GB DDR3 unbuffered dual inline memory modules (UDIMMs) with Error
Checking and Correcting (ECC) technology.

If I'm reading this correctly it seems to me that only 2 or 4 GB unbuffered DIMMs are supported for ECC. Is that correct?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
RDIMM means "registered ECC". You're fine. Usually a board like the one in there won't work at all without the proper ECC RAM in it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Status
Not open for further replies.