Nanya NT8GC72B4NB1NJ-CG for my M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanzky

Cadet
Hello all,

Long time lurker here, but for the first time in years of running my NAS problem-free, something finally stumped me... and it's about RAM. I've long been running 16GB using Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G. I have 4x 4GB sticks of Kingston that has been running with zero issues. One day, I stumbled upon 4x 8GB sticks of these Nanya RAM and the specs fit for my mother board except when I put them in there, my box doesn't boot up. I don't even get any beeps or display on my monitor. Has anyone else here tried these RAM?

My mother board says:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture

These Nanya RAM are:

NT8GC72C4NB1NJ-CG
DDR3L-1333
PC3L-10600
667MHz (1.5ns @ CL = 9)
1Gx72
1.35v
Gold leads

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
According to the datasheets, these are Registered dimms (RDIMM) and your motherboard uses unregistered dimms (otherwise known as un-buffered or UDIMM.) Those Nanya RAM modules are not compatible with your motherboard.

I'll bet you picked them up cheap. I've seen a lot of RDIMM's on ebay recently and they are very inexpensive - precisely because they are not compatible with most consumer motherboards.

Seanzky

Cadet
According to the datasheets, these are Registered dimms (RDIMM) and your motherboard uses unregistered dimms (otherwise known as un-buffered or UDIMM.) Those Nanya RAM modules are not compatible with your motherboard.

I'll bet you picked them up cheap. I've seen a lot of RDIMM's on ebay recently and they are very inexpensive - precisely because they are not compatible with most consumer motherboards.

Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, I did find them cheap. I had no idea since the seller didn't say anything about registered or unregistered. :(

UPDATE: The fault is all mine. It did say registered on the eBay listing. I should have known better.

Seanzky

Cadet
Wow. I'm only realizing now just how rare a consumer motherboard that supports registered ECC can be. I can't find any! Well looks like I'll be returning these Nanya sticks and saving my pennies to upgrade to 32GB. Thanks again, @pschatz100.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
That is one of the caveats about buying used on ebay. I always do my own research about parts being listed there, and do not rely solely on the description provided by the seller. Hopefully, the seller will allow you to return them without much hassle. Good luck.

Seanzky

Cadet
That is one of the caveats about buying used on ebay. I always do my own research about parts being listed there, and do not rely solely on the description provided by the seller. Hopefully, the seller will allow you to return them without much hassle. Good luck.

I did get to return it. Lesson learned. Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow. I'm only realizing now just how rare a consumer motherboard that supports registered ECC can be. I can't find any
That's because there are none.

Seanzky

Cadet
Haha. Makes sense. I'll be upgrading some time in the future and going with Supermicro anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.