Advice on my hardware choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeC

Cadet
Hi guys,

I need a little advice on the parts list I have put together so far. I've spent quite a while running in circles working out what I want, what I can afford and what is actually available here in the UK (at least for a reasonable price) and I think I am going in the right direction.

I considered looking at older hardware, but due my own inexperience and loosing my mind trying to find second hand parts, I skipped that idea. That and I feel I could get something a little lower power hungry as some of the hardware available might be a bit overkill.

First off, I am aware that some of these parts are older/slower then the newer models out there, but I simply haven't been able to find any for sale that fits my limited budget.

The parts are:

CPU - i3 3220 (that I already own)
Motherboard - Supermicro X9SCL-F-B
RAM - 8gb Crucial DDR3 10600 (1333) 240 Pins, ECC, Unbuffered CL 9
Hard Drives - 2x WD Red 3TB
Case - Fractal Design Mini
PSU - yet to source - might temporarily use one I already own for now

Just to point out, I have done my best to research this, so if I've made mistakes go easy.

My main issue is with the RAM. It is not on the Super Micro memory list, but I simply can not seem to find any ram from that list in the UK. I have also chosen to go with 8gb of ram instead of 16 for now as I simply can't afford to buy two sticks, although I do intend to add a second one down the track.

As a point of reference, the main uses for this build will be to add a bit of redundancy to my files and to have a centralised location for my work backups, photos, docs, music and to stream movies to a raspberry pi. I need to keep it as cheap as possible but I am doing my best to get solid parts where I can. I won't be doing any encryption or transcoding so the machine will have a relatively easy life besides being on 24/7.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Yatti420

Wizard
Similiar to what I run..

Edit: Get the Kingston without any crazy stuff like thermals etc.. Not sure what kind of board you need for that support.. Whoops thought you said Kingston.. Ram should be fine..

Are you going to run a mirror with the 2 x WD reds??

I don't build mini stuff so not sure on temps etc in that case..

Get an excellent PSU built to last..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Add $5 and get the X9SCM (it has an extra PCIe slot).

LukeC

Cadet
Are you going to run a mirror with the 2 x WD reds??

Yep. I intend to add more drives in the future but I'm not too concerned about that for the moment

I don't build mini stuff so not sure on temps etc in that case..

I'm not sold on that case yet, still researching it but it looks like it'll stay cool enough

Add $5 and get the X9SCM (it has an extra PCIe slot).
I think I've seen you mention that to someone else in the past. I can't actually find it anywhere for sale in the UK. To be honest I'm not too concerned about the extra PCIe slot. Is there any reason why I should hold out to find one with the extra slot or will the X9SCL-F be fine?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It'll be fine, but I prefer to maximize potential expansion. You might not need it now, but it would suck to find out in 6 months you need that extra PCIe slot and you didn't spend that extra $5. :P

LukeC

Cadet
Cyberjock, you have a completely valid point.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find one, but cheers for the confirmation.

And I assume the ram will be fine even though it wasn't on the tested list? And I guess I won't run into any issues adding a second stick of ram later in time should I need it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Your RAM should be just fine.

Z300M

Guru
Nope. Your RAM should be just fine.
I'm not sure which RAM we're talking about now -- Crucial or Kingston? -- and if Kingston, whether it's ValueRAM or ??? (Does their "regular" RAM have a specific name?) -- but I have noticed that ValueRAM is sold in multi-module "kits," whereas the other isn't. Does this mean that ValueRAM is more picky about matching and that adding a stick later might not work so well?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Generally, if its name-brand RAM and is the proper generation of RAM, ECC/non-ECC and registered/unregistered as appropriate it should work just fine.

Yatti420

Wizard
Yea I think the Crucial should be fine.. The Kingston has some features on some sticks like thermal sensors.. Or an Intel Verified setup which I don't believe is required..

LukeC

Cadet
Hi guys, cheers for the info. I've done my best to try find alternative (better) parts to what I've listed above but that seems impossible to do, or at least I haven't found anywhere that sells alternative.

Thanks for the feedback all the same. If anything goes wrong with what I've bought (or will buy soon), I will update for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.