RAIDZ1 failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

I've been using FreeNAS 9 (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509282017 currently) for about a year now and I'm getting this error:

CRITICAL: The volume fileserver (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.​
This is what zpool status says:
smartctl -a gives me "PASSED" for every single drive.

Is it just about those files with errors or I need to fear HDD failure?
There are 5 times 2 TB drives.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Well, you have two failing drives in a RAID-Z1 vdev which doesn't tolerate more than one drive failure. Backup any important data not already backed up NOW.

"PASSED" tests doesn't mean the drives are ok. Can you post the output of the smartctl -a commands, between code tags or using pastebin please?

Junicast

Patron

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Your drives run far too hot, 51 °C for the higher one. They should be kept under 40 °C, I recommend you to solve this problem asap.

There's some CRC errors on the second drive so there's maybe a bad cable or a bad contact in a connector. Try to reseat the power and SATA (both ends) connectors of this drive (use the serial number to know which drive it is).

I recommend to launch a long test on each drive smartctl -t long /dev/adaX and to wait the end to see if there's any bad sector detected ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Your drives run far too hot
+1

The SMART output doesn't have any obvious (to me) red flags, but 3 drives are approaching 5 years of runtime, so they don't owe you anything.
Is it just about those files with errors or I need to fear HDD failure?
Impossible to say for sure, but I'd be ordering some 4TB replacements right now if it were my server.

Please post full hardware specs.

Junicast

Patron
I actually ordered new hard drives. Took me like a week to migrate all the data over, but no data loss. THANK YOU @all.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Probably the prudent move. Also make sure you're not cooking the new drives, keep them cool and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.