Boot volume state is DEGRADED - how do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theomolenaar

Dabbler
I did a fresh installation of FreeNAS-11.1-U5 today with all brand new hardware. FreeNAS boots from a Sandisk SSD but I get a Critical Error message. CRITICAL: June 27, 2018, 1:18 a.m. - The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.
Can anyone help me? I searched on this forum but couldn't find a solution.
Some info about the SSD:
Controller: SandForce SF2281
SKU: SDSSDA-120G-G27

Last edited:

theomolenaar

Dabbler
It looks like there's a bug in FreeNAS for this type of error. I'll try the fix mentioned in that bug report. If it works I will come back here.

Update: The 'fix' that Alexander Motin mentioned here does work (forcefully disable TRIM with vfs.zfs.trim.enabled=0). But I would call it more of a hack. The Sandisk Plus 120GB SSD (prod.nr.SDSSDA-120G-G27) that I have installed has firmware version UE3600RL flashed. @Ericloewe mentioned that same firmware version and says that he has a working SSD with firmware version UE3000RL. Unfortunately I couldn't find any downloadable firmware version for this SSD. Nor any firmware upgrade/downgrade tool at Sandisk website.
Disabling TRIM doesn't seem a good (long-term) solution as TRIM helps to keep your SSD clean. For now the recommended solution is buying another SSD disk with a compatible controller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.