CRITICAL: June 13, 2018, 3:49 a.m. - The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has exper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Dabbler
I woke up to email messages saying: CRITICAL: June 13, 2018, 3:49 a.m. - The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

Nothing in the GUI tells me what's happening on which device.

I've got 8 2TB drives in a single ZFS2 array.

I've also got 2 16GB usb memory sticks (2 weeks old) as boot.

I'm assuming at this point it has something to do with those usb boot sticks. How do I find out exactly what's going on?

Thanks,

Roveer

rvassar

Guru
I'll guess one of your USB sticks has accumulated write errors. Mine didn't last a month.

You can get more info from the UI via System->Boot (tab), followed by clicking the status button. If you're comfortable with ssh, ssh in to the CLI and run "zpool status".

Redcoat

MVP
I'll guess one of your USB sticks has accumulated write errors. Mine didn't last a month.

You can get more info from the UI via System->Boot (tab), followed by clicking the status button. If you're comfortable with ssh, ssh in to the CLI and run "zpool status".

I second @rvassar's conclusion and suggestions - an alternative to ssh is to use the Shell window, suggest you expand it to full size, and run "zpool status", examine the boot section.

Roveer

Dabbler

Thanks for the info. I'll check when I get back to a computer. What's the best course? Just keep changing the offending stick still you no longer have the issue? Is this a problem? I remember reading a thread or two about dual usbs having failures. Or eventually I'll end up with two sticks that just don't cause problems?

Thanks.

Roveer

Redcoat

MVP
If you do a search here you will find multiple reports of failing USB boot sticks. You'll also find strong support for them, too, from some of the most experienced people here. Based on my personal experience, an appropriate course is to switch to an SSD if you have an available SATA port. I have also run one system with an old SATA laptop HDD as @Chris Moore here frequently promotes - works just fine and the slower speed is no issue for (hopefully) infrequent bootups. I think that most of us who use SSD's for boot do not duplicate them - you can, but their reliability doesn't seem to justify the expense.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

rvassar

Guru
See my USB Boot thread in the "Will it FreeNAS" section. I'm moving away from USB boot devices. I'm waiting on a SAS HBA to arrive, then I'll use a small SSD to boot.

On edit: Also... Make sure you relocate your system dataset to the main pool. See the docs...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Roveer

Dabbler
Everyone who responded. Thanks a bunch for all the good information. This afternoon I saved my FreeNAS configuration file (with passwords), pulled the 2 usb sticks threw in a 32GB SSD, changed my M1015 to allow it to boot, set the SSD to be the boot device, reinstalled freeNAS and uploaded my configuration file. and I'm back in Bidness booting from an SSD.

I also checked my system dataset and it's on DATA which is the main pool.

Couldn't have been easier.

Chris, Thanks for the tips. I'll take some time to read up on terminology so I don't sound like such an idiot when I come here for help. Must sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to you, but what can I say, I was kinda close. Hold on a second while I grab my drink off that cup holder on the front of PC.

So thanks for all those who posted. Lets see what happens next. Maybe nothing, which would be just fantastic.

Roveer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Must sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to you, but what can I say, I was kinda close. Hold on a second while I grab my drink off that cup holder on the front of PC.

So thanks for all those who posted. Lets see what happens next. Maybe nothing, which would be just fantastic.

Roveer
LOL
Seriously, I just wanted to help.
I hope it is uneventful from here on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Roveer

Dabbler
LOL
Seriously, I just wanted to help.
I hope it is uneventful from here on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The information you provide is always helpful and I appreciate your contribution to this forum. I do this stuff part time at best and always appreciate those who have your level of expertise.

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.