RAIDZ Calculator. Does ZFS ever give write speed gains depending on layout?

rigel

Dabbler
Drives: 8 SATA HDD
Drive capacity: 4TB

Hi, I'm trying to calculate my write and read speed gains by changing layouts on the RAIDZ Calculator and no matter what layout I choose write speed is always unchanged. Does it mean that no matter the layout ZFS only provides the maximum speed of a single drive? Assume there are no any cache or special devices and RAM is limited to 32GB.

This is so much different with what I experienced with RAID10 before where for the same number of drives you can get up to 8x read and 4x write speed gain. I'm not comparing how much more reliable ZFS raid to normal raid is, I'm just curious why ZFS does not give any speed gains just like normal raid without buying 1TB of RAM and high endurance drives (10 DWPD) for special or cache devices.

2 VDEVs in RAIDz1 with 4 drives each vdev:

screenshot-2023-07-30-10-25-30@2x.png

4 VDEVs in Mirror with 2 drives each vdev:

screenshot-2023-07-30-10-25-47@2x.png

RAID10 with 8 drives:

screenshot-2023-07-30-10-26-14@2x.png

Davvo

MVP
Please read the following resource.

TL;DR: Using RAIDZ# you get improved write performance, as well as with multiple VDEVs.

glide

Cadet
I tried the same as @rigel with this calculator, not being able to see how to improve the performance.
I have 16 x 1.5TB SAS-3 SSD plugged into a SAS-3 LSI HBA on a 16x 3.0 PCIe slot.
Also tried several RAIDZx configs on TrueNAS Scale, the best write speed I reached was 650MB/s with a single stripped vdev, which seems quite unexpected to me.
This server I'm testing on only has 8MB of RAM though, could it be the bottleneck ?
Sorry I'm really discovering the RAID world here.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Low amounts of RAM (and 8GB is the absolute minimum) will certainly cause writes to not benefit from acceleration.

Learning the difference between sync and async writes may also be important for you depending on the workload.

A good amount of RAM (again depending on the workload) would generally be considered 64GB (at which point it makes sense to start thinking about things which may improve reading speed as well like L2ARC).

Davvo

MVP
This server I'm testing on only has 8MB of RAM though, could it be the bottleneck ?
Really hope you mean GB and yeah, could be a reason. How did you test that?

glide

Cadet
Haha yes indeed, I meant 8GB :smile:
How did you test that?
Locally with a simple rsync on a single 4GB file, I also used hdparm with several params combinations which gives me about the same numbers
Low amounts of RAM (and 8GB is the absolute minimum) will certainly cause writes to not benefit from acceleration.
So you think it could be the first limiting factor ?

Can we know the expected average write speed with my configuration ? With RAID-Z1 and 2 vdevs for example
16 x 1.5TB SAS-3 SSD plugged into a SAS-3 LSI HBA on a 16x 3.0 PCIe slot

sretalla