BUILD Rackmount Recommendations Switch and UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayDreamer88

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

So I'm in the process of starting my first FreeNAS. I have purchased the following http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 with 8 x 8 GB DIMMs based on forum recommendations. I am starting it with Qty 12: 3TB HD's and plan to run FreeNAS from either a USB or SSD (undecided on this so far).

I will probably be moving in less than a year and would like to have a solution I can just unplug and plug back in when I move. Right now I would mostly like recommendations on good switch and UPS options that aren't necessarily the cheapest but I certainly won't need enterprise quality either. For UPS especially the last relevant recommendations I have found are from 2015.

My network so far:

Cable wire
|
|
Arris TM1602 Cable Modem
| - Cable provided phone
| - Cisco ASA 5505 (needed to connect to remotely for work)

Cisco ASA 5505
| - VoIP phone for work
|
|
|
|
|
| - Cable provided Sagemcom Fast 5260 Wireless Router (I do have a cheap old DD-WRT flashed Linksys Wireless Router lying a round somewhere I could connect instead)

Sagemcom Fast 5260 Wireless Router
| - GLi-MT300N Wireless Router with OpenWRT (only reason I'm using this is due to convenience of switching between regular network and paid for VPN by switch of a button)
| - Home PC
| - Printer
| - Amazon Fire (via Wi-Fi)
| - Laptop (via Wi-Fi)
| - Android Box (via Wi-Fi currently, eventually would prefer to be wired)

GLi-MT300N
| - Work/gaming/personal PC - turn on VPN after work usually
| - Laptop (via WiFi when I want VPN)

While I don't need many ports currently, the house has several rooms and I would ideally prefer to be able to have a wired connection for gaming on my laptop regardless of where I am in house. I don't have the fastest connection averaging roughly 65 Mbps Down/2 Mbps Up right now but would like to be ready for Fiber should it ever become available to me. Of course, I will probably upgrade the Cisco ASA 5505 at that time as it only has 10/100. For now though, the used Supermicro I bought comes with Integrated Quad Intel 1000BASE-T Ports and I'd prefer if they didn't just sit there looking pretty.

To the best of my understanding, what I need most right now is for a switch connected after the Cisco ASA 5505. The wireless router (in AP mode) would connect to the switch and only be there for wireless.

Based on this I'm thinking I would like a rackmount switch with at least 16 1Gb ports (in case I want to wire the full house eventually). I see that many come with SPF+ and 10Gb, while I know I probably don't need/can't use this, I would like it to be there if the price difference isn't too significant.

For the UPS, I definitely want something with replaceable batteries and wouldn't mind something refurbished.

Switch possibilities:
Cisco 2960G
I've seen some like the following recommended http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catal...142520&hash=item238d54e37e:g:~VoAAOSwAFBZsYjE
I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for something a little more future proof.

UPS possibilities:
APC SUA1500RM2U
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-SUA1500...656876&hash=item440b39ea11:g:wGQAAOSwG0tZqsX2

All together I'm hoping to spend less than $400 but I'm open to spend a little bit more for extra features.

Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful to this newbie!

Stux

MVP
I've had good success with used APC UPSes off eBay, but you should budget to have to replace the batteries fairly soon (use generics, recycle the wiring harness) as often the batteries are already one step in the grave, if they aren't dead already.

Wait until the UPS tells you the batteries failed the self-test, but understand that they will probably fail in 3-18 months.

That UPS is only good for 980W or so (according to the ebay page), depending on how much equipment you have connected, just be aware you should ensure you don't exceed that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
For the UPS, I definitely want something with replaceable batteries and wouldn't mind something refurbished.
Just about everything has replaceable batteries, and 99% of the batteries used in UPSs are standard-size 12V AGM (often incorrectly called "gel-cell") models. For new, both APC and CyberPower are pretty well-recommended; for used, I think I see APC suggested more often.

The biggest problem with UPSs is that the ratings that are advertised don't really tell you what you want to know (or at least, what I want to know). UPSs are advertised by maximum power output (and even that is misleading, because they use VA rather than watts). I'm not especially interested in the maximum power output of my UPS (as long as it's enough to run what's plugged into it--which has never been an issue for me); I want runtime. I want to know how long it will keep my equipment operating when the power goes out. And that information is harder to find, though APC does have it on their website.

According to this chart, with fresh batteries, that model will have 3 hours' runtime with a 100-watt load, 1:31 with a 200-watt load, 26 min at 500 watts, 9 min at 900 watts.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some higher end models use multiple batteries attached together, but those are still easily replaceable and information is plentiful for popular models, such as APC's Smart-UPS line.

Inxsible

Guru
I am with Stux on the UPS. I would rather just buy the UPS chassis and put in new batteries myself. It would come to $200 which is about the same cost (if you include the shipping), but you would get new batteries from day 1. Better for the peace of mind.

Z300M

Guru
I now have three of the 1500VA (900W) CyberPower units that Costco warehouses sell for $99.99; they seem to cost more on the Web site.

As for aftermarket batteries, I bought a few on eBay from Chrome Battery, but some did not last long, and one I found -- when I peeled off their label -- that the manufacturer's printed description underneath showed a lower capacity than Chrome was claiming. CSB batteries (which is typically what the APC ones are, under the APC label) from Amazon probably are a better deal.

Inxsible

Guru
I now have three of the 1500VA (900W) CyberPower units that Costco warehouses sell for $99.99; they seem to cost more on the Web site.

As for aftermarket batteries, I bought a few on eBay from Chrome Battery, but some did not last long, and one I found -- when I peeled off their label -- that the manufacturer's printed description underneath showed a lower capacity than Chrome was claiming. CSB batteries (which is typically what the APC ones are, under the APC label) from Amazon probably are a better deal.
Whoa!! I might have to get me one of those units then. My local Costco doesn't have it, but some nearby ones might. $100 bucks for a new 900W UPS seems a good deal. I was going to go the used route by buying a used APC chassis and adding new batteries in there.

I have heard a lot about APC being good, but how is CyberPower in their UPSes? I do have a CyberPower PDU in my rack currently.

Inxsible

Guru
I got super excited about the $99 UPS, but they are not rackmount, are they? I assumed that since the thread title had rackmount, you were talking about rackmount as well.

I was looking at rackmount options on ebay so I could fit it in my rack.

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
Yes, I'm sorry: I forgot that the discussion was primarily of rack-mount units.

Inxsible

Guru
I found this Tripp Lite rackmount UPS for $242 which is a great price for a brand new UPS. I am just not sure if it will be supported in FreeNAS or pfSense.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Inxsible

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.