Gigabit rackmount switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't mean to muddy the waters, but the default for dual nics is redundant (and that's still a recommended setup), correct? Or should I unplug one of those nic connections entirely?
That's not how dual NICs works. You would need a LAGG setup with switches that support it. For a simple home server it does no good unless you are running multiple switches and redundant fabrics.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So as I've stated earlier in this thread (more than once I think), the OP needs to fix the network layout in order to correct the bandwidth bottlenecks he is experiencing.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

joeschmuck

Old Man
To be honest, I've never used those features so I'm not one to speak about them however the OP is having bandwidth issues and thought a dual LAN connection would solve the issue but I'd say most of those are WiFi related issues based on the network layout given. Fixing the network should correct the issues experienced, even if the OP needs to use WiFi they will just need to add additional WiFi networks/AP to fulfill the bandwidth need. This is not a dual NIC issue at this point from what I can see. I guess that if the OP truly needs up to 2Gb throughput, somehow they could configure a dual LAN setup however I'd think you would need a good managed switch to pull that off, but that still will not solve the WiFi limitations.

Gotta run, meeting family at the local Pizza joint, YUM!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
To be honest, I've never used those features so I'm not one to speak about them however the OP is having bandwidth issues and thought a dual LAN connection would solve the issue but I'd say most of those are WiFi related issues based on the network layout given. Fixing the network should correct the issues experienced, even if the OP needs to use WiFi they will just need to add additional WiFi networks/AP to fulfill the bandwidth need. This is not a dual NIC issue at this point from what I can see. I guess that if the OP truly needs up to 2Gb throughput, somehow they could configure a dual LAN setup however I'd think you would need a good managed switch to pull that off, but that still will not solve the WiFi limitations.

Gotta run, meeting family at the local Pizza joint, YUM!
LACP will not double the speed, merely allow more throughput for more clients. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, failover is switch independent. As long as the failover option is supported on the NICs on the machine itself, it will work.

Pheran

Patron
Since your already familiar with IOS, you might take a look at the SG lineup SG{100,200,300} series of cisco switches. Your already familiar with it, so it would be an easy transition to do the things you might want to do with it and it won't break the bank.

This is somewhat ancillary to the thread, but I just wanted to point out that Cisco SG (small business) switches do not run IOS, although the CLI is similar. I can say this with authority because my FreeNAS server is plugged into a Cisco SG300-10PP. :)

wreedps

Patron
Cisco Nexus 5010. :)

I have a 5020 running my fabric at the house.

oliverdb

Cadet
I'm guessing your Asus routers/APs are not gigabit capable? If this is the case, why is your FreeNAS connected to the Asus router? Connect it directly to the gigabit switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuganater

Patron
It is gigabit. The server is in a different room than my wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.