RackMount UPS Recommendation

DayDreamer88

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I bought a used server from Mr.Rackables 2 years ago and I'm finally getting around to installing FreeNAS after a number of moves. I got a SuperMicro SSG-6047R-E1R36N which has a X9DRi-LN4+ board and dual CPU E5-2650L (sorry, not sure which version this one is but I think it's V3) @ 1.8 GHz.

I don't have it loaded to capacity yet, only using 12 of the 36 bays. I'm a total noob and not sure how to calculate this, but assuming I were to use all 36 bays, what size UPS Battery might I need? I would only be connecting the server, a small LCD display, a keyboard, 1 cable box, and 1 switch or router do you have any recommendations for rackmountable options?

I was originally looking at the Tripp-Lite SMART1500LCD but I'm not sure if that's enough or I should be looking at bigger options.

Thanks for all the help!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You should size the UPS based on your desired runtime, which unfortunately can be hard to find with many manufacturers (APC does publish runtime charts, though they're based on new batteries, so you should probably derate by 50%). I have a very similar system, and it draws (according to the IPMI power monitoring) around 320 watts at idle--so the unit you mention would be more than adequate in terms of peak power output (expect no more than 400 watts total load). If all you want is something to power it for a few minutes to allow it to shut down safely, go for it. If you want the UPS to power the system through an extended outage, though, you'll probably need something bigger.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
which has a X9DRi-LN4+ board and dual CPU E5-2650L (sorry, not sure which version this one is but I think it's V3
That system board only supports v1 and v2 processors, so if it doesn't say it is v2, it is probably v1.
CPU E5-2650L
That is an incredibly low-end processor for a Zeon server processor:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2650L+@+1.80GHz&id=1776
What did you plan to do with this system?
I don't have it loaded to capacity yet, only using 12 of the 36 bays. I'm a total noob and not sure how to calculate this, but assuming I were to use all 36 bays, what size UPS Battery might I need?
@danb35 got a response before me. I blame the coworker that "lost" a DVD in the drive and I had to extract it for them...
I would suggest two UPS units, one for each power supply in the server. I had a single UPS on my server and a failed battery pack that shorted out internally took everything down without warning. If you only have one UPS, it is a single point of failure, so I have two now and I find that the 1500 (I use APC) sized units provide enough run-time for the occasional flicker of the lights and a graceful shutdown on a longer outage.

DayDreamer88

Dabbler
That system board only supports v1 and v2 processors, so if it doesn't say it is v2, it is probably v1.

That is an incredibly low-end processor for a Zeon server processor:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2650L+@+1.80GHz&id=1776
What did you plan to do with this system?

@danb35 got a response before me. I blame the coworker that "lost" a DVD in the drive and I had to extract it for them...
I would suggest two UPS units, one for each power supply in the server. I had a single UPS on my server and a failed battery pack that shorted out internally took everything down without warning. If you only have one UPS, it is a single point of failure, so I have two now and I find that the 1500 (I use APC) sized units provide enough run-time for the occasional flicker of the lights and a graceful shutdown on a longer outage.

Thanks for the advice! Dual 1500 certainly seems like the best route to go. But will that cause any issue with the program that controls the UPS on FreeNAS?

With regards to the processor, maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think I needed anything too crazy. Also, it's dual CPU's so I found this Passmark Score. Does that make any difference? The main usage is to stream my BluRay and DVD collection. I had to re-rip my entire collection once after hard drive failure... not doing that again. Apart from FreeNAS the only jail/plugin I had considered possibly running is PLEX with a single stream. That stream might need transcoding but the client would be a NVIDIA Shield 4k so I could likely direct play most media. Not doing virtualization of any sort.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
With regards to the processor, maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think I needed anything too crazy. Also, it's dual CPU's so I found this Passmark Score. Does that make any difference? The main usage is to stream my BluRay and DVD collection. I had to re-rip my entire collection once after hard drive failure... not doing that again. Apart from FreeNAS the only jail/plugin I had considered possibly running is PLEX with a single stream. That stream might need transcoding but the client would be a NVIDIA Shield 4k so I could likely direct play most media. Not doing virtualization of any sort.
The two processors would work together, so you get close to twice the work from two as you would with just one. That and the plan to not do anything but light Plex transcoding, should put you in a good place. This will likely last you for years to come.

The battery packs in those UPS units only last between three and five years (in my experience) so you should plan to set aside some money and be ready to replace them. It is like CapEx where you can plan to spend a certain amount every five years, so you can start saving toward that from year one, so the money is there when you need it. Same with the drives. Spinning disks (if you buy them new) are going to need to be replaced between three and five years later, unless you get really lucky. I have some in one of the servers at work that are at 6.2 years and still running fine, with no errors, but you can't plan for that.

DayDreamer88

Dabbler
The two processors would work together, so you get close to twice the work from two as you would with just one. That and the plan to not do anything but light Plex transcoding, should put you in a good place. This will likely last you for years to come.

The battery packs in those UPS units only last between three and five years (in my experience) so you should plan to set aside some money and be ready to replace them. It is like CapEx where you can plan to spend a certain amount every five years, so you can start saving toward that from year one, so the money is there when you need it. Same with the drives. Spinning disks (if you buy them new) are going to need to be replaced between three and five years later, unless you get really lucky. I have some in one of the servers at work that are at 6.2 years and still running fine, with no errors, but you can't plan for that.

Thank you Chris, my reply regarding the Dual CPU was given your original comment "That is an incredibly low-end processor for a Zeon server processor: "

I figured I would need to replace on a semi-regular basis as you mention.

I guess the remaining question I do have is with regards to the dual 1500 UPS suggestion. I know to use a compatible UPS that is on the HCL on netwoorkupstools. But is there anything special I should know about when running two UPS (one per power supply) instead of 1? I can't seem to find any forum posts answering this.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But is there anything special I should know about when running two UPS (one per power supply) instead of 1? I can't seem to find any forum posts answering this.
I have two servers and one is connected to each UPS (as far as monitoring goes) so each server gets shutdown and tells it's UPS to also shutdown. My APC units connect by USB from the UPS to the server. Power is on both UPS units.

DayDreamer88

Dabbler
I have two servers and one is connected to each UPS (as far as monitoring goes) so each server gets shutdown and tells it's UPS to also shutdown. My APC units connect by USB from the UPS to the server. Power is on both UPS units.
Hello Chris,

I'm afraid I may not be being clear. This isn't for two servers but a single server that happens to have 2x 1400Watt Power Supply Gold. @danb35 had suggested one UPS for each Power Supply. So 1 chassis/server, 2 power supplies, 2 UPS, 2 USB. I'm wondering if each UPS giving the server information separately would cause some sort of issue.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No, I get it. I was just telling you how my system is setup. I just don't know a way to connect two UPS units to FreeNAS, so you would just connect one of the monitoring cables to the FreeNAS so the NAS would know when to shutdown.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@danb35 had suggested one UPS for each Power Supply.
No, that was Chris who suggested that. And I think it's a good idea, except that it introduces the complication you're anticipating. I don't know of a good way to deal with it, I'm afraid.

The main thing (IMHO) is to NOT connect both of your redundant power supplies to a single UPS which creates a single point of failure where there needn't be one. You could just connect the second power supply to line power. If your line power is that dirty, you perhaps have other issues. I have my stuff wired up with the second power supply going to line power.