qBittorrent download but no upload/seed

DasGoG

Dabbler
Good Morning

So I have my Wireless Router manually configured with OpenVPN (ExpressVPN) and so anything on that network automatically is on VPN, need no firewalls etc. Using qBT on Windows 10.0.2.101) I have 0 issues download and uploading.
After installing TrueNAS (10.0.2.102) and then qBT (10.0.2.103) through TrueNAS, I can download but it does not even consider seeding. I have looked up what I can but can not find others with same issue so not sure where to focus. It is not the Windows OS or Router because it works fine Windows, and I never set any permissions so I have to believe it is a configuration I am not inputting on TrueNAS/ qBT Jail?

Thank you!

What does the status of the torrent (in qBittorrent web GUI) say? Stalled? Error? Paused? Completed? Did you configure anything under que'ing and ratios?

DasGoG

Dabbler
It states it is SEEDING.
Que'ing was not enabled.
Not finding anything specifically to "ratio" maybe I am overlooking

What if you right-click the column bar and check Uploaded? Does it show 0 bytes for all torrents?

uploaded-column.jpg

Not finding anything specifically to "ratio" maybe I am overlooking

It's in the Options under the BitTorrent tab, second to last section from the bottom.

DasGoG

Dabbler
No, I did not select ratio. I just want it to upload til "I" say stop. And under 'Uploaded' they all say 0

DasGoG

Dabbler
I did check my [working qbt via windows] settings against TrueNAS qbt and they are identical. Would there be any sort of limiation config on TrueNAS/qbt on there that would restrict uploads?

Would there be any sort of limiation config on TrueNAS/qbt on there that would restrict uploads?

It's hard for me to imagine that, as downloading requires read and write access to the directory / mountpoint. Unless you have a script that runs upon a completed download that might interfere with uploading?

Are these on new torrents, or existing files that you wish to seed? What happens when you try to download a brand new torrent?

The LibreOffice help installer is a small torrent to test this on: https://download.documentfoundation...fice_7.1.0_Win_x64_helppack_en-US.msi.torrent

What does your mount configuration and ACL/permissions look like in regards to the qBittorrent jail/plugin?

DasGoG

Dabbler
Well I removed all my existing/prior torrents and started fresh with TrueNAS.. So these have all been new torrents.
I tried that link and it downloaded quickly and says SEEDING but nothing. I do notice it is also under "stalled uploading".
I am using "open" ACL with Full Control enabled in all fields.
Under qbt exec_jail_user/exec_system_user is :root and then none of the "allow" boxes are checked except hostname.

DasGoG

Dabbler
Honestly at this point I sort of give up. I mean the stuff I am downloading isn't even IN the mount location I set.

User -
Home directory:
/mnt/TrueNAS/TrueNAS

Share -
TrueNAS /mnt/TrueNAS/TrueNAS yes

Storage/Pool-
/mnt/TrueNAS/TrueNAS with OPEN and ENABLed for my user.

So, how is what I am downloading not even going in there?

The mountpoint of your Jail has to point to an accessible directory / dataset, in which the Jail will see it as something like "/media/downloads/" yet it really points to TrueNAS's "/mnt/TrueNAS/TrueNAS/downloads".

Here is an example of mine:

Jails > qbittorrent (the plugin's jail) > Mount Points

Source:
/mnt/mainpool/zdataroot1/downloads <--- actual dataset / directory on my NAS

Destination:
/mnt/mainpool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/media/downloads <--- see as "/media/downloads" from within the jail/plugin

Notice for the Destination after "/mnt/mainpool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root" it is "/media/downloads".

How are you mount points configured for your qbittorrent jail?

DasGoG

Dabbler
The mountpoint of your Jail has to point to an accessible directory / dataset, in which the Jail will see it as something like "/media/downloads/" yet it really points to TrueNAS's "/mnt/TrueNAS/TrueNAS/downloads".

Here is an example of mine:

Jails > qbittorrent (the plugin's jail) > Mount Points

Source:
/mnt/mainpool/zdataroot1/downloads <--- actual dataset / directory on my NAS

Destination:
/mnt/mainpool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root/media/downloads <--- see as "/media/downloads" from within the jail/plugin

Notice for the Destination after "/mnt/mainpool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent/root" it is "/media/downloads".

How are you mount points configured for your qbittorrent jail?

I got that one figured out, works, thank you. Still no Seed though..

Is it possible to post a screenshot of the GUI for the qBittorrent plugin?

DasGoG

Dabbler
Here is MAIN GUI w/ Download Options, bittorrent and connection windows.
main.jpg
bittorrent.jpg
connections.jpg

DasGoG

Dabbler
Or maybe better as attachments...

Attachments

• bittorrent.jpg
    bittorrent.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 974
  • connections.jpg
    connections.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 740
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,185
Everything appears fine, and strangely, what this looks like to me is that you're seeding but no one is connected to you / needs any upload from you.

One last thing you can try is to change "Disable encryption" to "Allow encryption". The "Allow encryption" options increases the chances of connecting to other peers, since if they do not support (or disable) encryption, you can still connect to them, and if they explicity require encryption, you can still connect to them. By disabling encryption, you're unable to connect to peers that require encryption.

The best I can say now is that since everything seems to be in order, maybe it's a matter of testing this out with this option changed?

DasGoG

Dabbler
Sounds like a plan. I will do so and let you know. My TrueNAS is connected, like the Windows client I use that works, to a DDWRT Router with OpenVPN on so there should be no weird forwarding or anything. Anyway, I’ll let you know. Thank you for being patient.

DasGoG

Dabbler
Well my friend it clearly is something on my side... I did as you suggested but to no avail. I thank you for all your input.

Glad to hear this! I figured it was a matter of either peers not needing you to upload to them (usually the case if they are being supplied with sufficient upstream from other peers/seeders) or that there is a mismatch between clients (such as "Disable Encryption" vs "Require Encryption").

That's why "Allow Encryption" is my favorite choice, since it plays nice with most peers.

Check out "Upload choking algorithm" under Advanced Options. (It's also known as "seed_choking_algorithm" in the documentation.) It's usually best to leave it as "Round Robin", which treats peers fairly.