SOLVED Possible to install Ubuntu/Debian in iocage jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keven

Contributor
Hi,

I need to install teamviewer on my FreeNAS box to be able to start my desktop when i'm not home... have tried within teamviewer to have a port and ip address setup, but it only work for a time before my isp recycle my ip address. so by always having a teamviewer instance open i can start my desktop via LAN with the FreeNAS box and then starting a session on my desktop. I didn't find a plugin or jail for teamviewer so my solution is to install linux on my freenas box. I would rather install it as a jail than a VM because that VM would be on 24/7 and i only have a 2 core/4 thread i3 6100 CPU and I use it to transcode movie with Plex so having only 3 thread would slow down my transcoding speed.

I know that linux on warden jail where a hack and very buggy, but with the shinny IOCAGE is it possible to get it done?

as a side note if i'm able to install it i would also run UNMS from ubiquiti as a side projet

kdragon75

Wizard
have tried within teamviewer to have a port and IP address setup, but it only work for a time before my isp recycle my IP address.
Have you looked into a dyndns service?
I know that linux on warden jail where a hack and very buggy, but with the shinny IOCAGE is it possible to get it done?
Not without EXTENSIVE work. The issue is not with FreeNAS but teh linux compatibility module. If I recall, its not updated and there is no template for it in FreeNAS anymore due to lack of development/need.

kdragon75

Wizard

Keven

Contributor
Have you looked into a dyndns service?

I'm looking for a free way to do it. it looks like dydns is a paid solution... i could just leave my old laptop on all the time with teamviewer on it and i would be able to power up my PC with that, but i'm looking to a more elegent solution. that why i turn to my freenas box since it is always on anyway

that's interesting... i'm gonna following that for sure

Keven

Contributor
ok thank you i found a free provider and with some work i got it working now I can open my computer remotely even after my external ip changed.

and for linux i kind of let it goes as it seem that it would me way over my current skills in freebsd and linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.