iocage - install Debian in jail on FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyvb8

Contributor
I read the iocage docs, they say that you can install Linux aka Debian in the jail on FreeBSD.
They link to this article http://devil-detail.blogspot.dk/2013/08/debian-linux-freebsd-jail-zfs.html
how ever it seems a bit over the edge to do all that, since we can't install on host FreeNAS, so I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed Debian or other Linux in jail in iocage?
or can guide or tell me that it will work, using that guide ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Given the age of the article, it probably suffers from the same issues we saw when we offered that functionality in a virtualbox jail a few years back (and eventually pulled out of FreeNAS). You're probably better off just using bhyve from the CLI or a VM.

Kennyvb8

Contributor
Given the age of the article, it probably suffers from the same issues we saw when we offered that functionality in a virtualbox jail a few years back (and eventually pulled out of FreeNAS). You're probably better off just using bhyve from the CLI or a VM.

Hmm weird they Still Link to this article then.

Bhyve uses 10-15% idle cpu. 3 different servers All on FreeNAS 11.1 latest and same issue. made Bug report. They locket it for future screening. Weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

While the debug is still attached, yes. Though it is useful for others to see its progress once the debug has been removed.

Gogomobile

Cadet
Hmm that installation guide is for freebsd and not particularly freenas. Can't install with PKG in freenas alltho it's ground its freebsd.

Thats true, though as newbie to FreeNAS, I experimented with manually downloading+install the intending package.pkg on my test computer. Stuff like config file won't survive system reboot, so I muck around a little bit. :p and (yeah, I know, its not recommended to do that).

A quick scan at the HowTO, seems all that's needed is debootstrap. If time permits I might try that with my test machine.

RegularJoe

Patron
success:
iocage create -e -n debjail exec_start="/etc/init.d/rc 3" exec_stop="/etc/init.d/rc ˓→0"

failure:
pkg install debootstrap

FreeNAS 11.2-u1

Status
Not open for further replies.