Possible new interface bug with clean install of ver11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyisit

Cadet
Hi all,

After much reading of the docs and forums, I finally have FreeNAS 11.0 going (hardware config at end of post.) I've discovered what I think might be a bug, but I thought I'd ask here before filing a bug report. Please note that this is all on a fresh install. Also, please note this is a fresh user.

Interface igb0 is assigned an IPv4 address from DHCP (with DHCP reservation): x.x.1.123/24
I go to Network > Interfaces > Add Interface. I select interface ix0, give it a static IPv4 of x.x.22.123/24
I click OK at bottom, and it just stays at "please wait" indefinitely, the web interface stops working, and interface igb0 stops responding to pings.

After selecting console option 8 (Reset to Factory defaults) a bunch of times, I looked in the shell at the ifconfig. I found that igb0 no longer had an IPv4 address. SO, I recreated the address through the console, and boom- I am able to use the web interface now.

I guess the bug would be "clean install DHCP address isn't saved as interface". Is this already known, to anyone's knowledge?

HARDWARE:
SuperMicro SuperStorage 6028R-E1CR24L
Dual quad core Xeon v4 @ 2.6GHz
64GB ECC DDR4
18x 2TB Seagate Enterprise 7200rpm SATA
6x 800GB Inte DC S3610 SATA SSD
LSI SAS3008 (IT Mode)
Quad Intel 1GiB NIC
Quad Intel 10GiB NIC

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Why are you trying to add an interface when FreeNAS has already assigned one? If you have read the doc's you would have seen that the interface is automatically picked up via DHCP and does not show in the interfaces tab.

Typically, the interface used to access the FreeNAS® administrative GUI is configured by DHCP. This interface does not appear in this screen, even though it is already dynamically configured and in use.

If you want to configure a static IP do that in your router.

melloa

Wizard
I guess the bug would be "clean install DHCP address isn't saved as interface"

Just installed couple days ago on a test VM and have not encountered any issues with my interface getting an IP from my DHCP.

Also:

I go to Network > Interfaces > Add Interface. I select interface ix0, give it a static IPv4 of x.x.22.123/24

If you are trying to set an static IP on your interface, you should be doing that from the console. I did post some screen shots couple months ago to help someone else on 9.10.

Attachments

• Configure FN 9.10 Interface Manually.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 450

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you are trying to set an static IP on your interface, you should be doing that from the console.
Why not through the web GUI (other than that it will interrupt your session when you save it)?

melloa

Wizard
Why not through the web GUI (other than that it will interrupt your session when you save it)?

Wouldn't you lose it anyways? That's why I prefer to be physically on the server console.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't you lose it anyways?
Lose what? Configure the interface, set the static IP, and save. Browse to the new IP, log in again, and do whatever else you want to go in the GUI.

guyisit

Cadet
Just installed couple days ago on a test VM and have not encountered any issues with my interface getting an IP from my DHCP.

It's not that I didn't pull an IP from DHCP initially (it did), it's that after assigning a static IP to a different NIC, the IP issued from DHCP was wiped out. That rendered the whole web gui useless.

melloa

Wizard
Lose what?

Access. You will need to do what you said
Configure the interface, set the static IP, and save. Browse to the new IP, log in again, and do whatever else you want to go in the GUI.
and assume all went right.

My point is: if I'm in the console, I will always be able to make changes, test, re-do, etc, but that's just me as I see.

guyisit

Cadet
Also, another note- the second NIC I was assigning the address to is for iSCSI traffic. That's why it's on a separate subnet (and VLAN.) The management network is what I was losing.

SMnasMAN

Contributor
I saw this same issue myself. i have 4x gbe , and a pcie card with 2x 10g sfp.

after FN install 1 of my gbe is pulling dhcp a 192.168.1.38 /24 from my network and thats how i access mgmt / web gui of FN (all good).

so now i want to add a 192.168.8.2 /29 IP on one of my 10g sfp ports (as on a 2nd physical box i have connected to this 10g port is set to 8.1 /29 strictly for iscsi / share access).

1st off, gui - > view interfaces (network), shows nothing (ie not the "mgmt" dhcp interface- thats fine i guess, but a bit confusing).

why i say thats confusing, is bc if i now try to add the 8.2 IP for my 10g port, via this gui, i loose web access. (obviously FN starts using this, and only this as the IP for FN and its def GW, even if i leave GW blank).

(so i agree with OP and am pretty sure we both have the same goal, which has to be a common network setup on freenas)

so what is the right way to set this "2nd" 8.2 /29 IP on my 10g interface (and not disterb the 1.38 /24 for mgmt/ssh/web/internet / def. gw) ?

thanks

EDIT- maybe its my esxi / xen background, so im coming at this from the perspective of those, where: you set a mgmt IP (or dhcp) via the console, and then under "networking" you can add other IPs on different subnets to your other physical interfaces. (thats what im trying to do in FN but not having success).

Last edited:

EarthBoundX5

Cadet
I just experienced this with 11.2, so I'm guessing this bug is now a feature? It sounds like for those who initially choose DHCP, no interfaces are created explicitly, and later if you try to set any static IPs on separate NICs later, it borks the config...?

Is there some logical reason why this is done? Why doesn't an interface get created regardless of static vs DHCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.