Pool will not Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
So my FreeNAS box became unresponsive. No GUI, No Console, No SSH. Hard rebooted. In normal boot mode it gets to importing zpool then hangs. In single user mode we can import the pool in readonly mode and all is good but a it comes up saying it cant mount a particular dataset (which I dont really need anyway). Im stuck. Can't import the pool. Cant delete the potentially problem data in readonly mode. Tried import -R in single user mode and it returned no errors. Any ideas how to get the pool back online.

FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2
HP DL360p Gen 9 Chelsio 10Gbp NIC, 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz, 786GB RAM,
MDS600 SAS disk chasis via a HP H240 HBA with 3 x RAIDZ vdevs consisting of 7 x 8TB 7200rpm SAS drives (21 drives in total).
2.4TB stripped L2ARC Intel 3500 NVME SSD
400GB mirrored ZIL Intel 3500 NVME SSD.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
output of zpool status when you have the pool imported in read only mode? I suspect that you are going to have to backup everything and rebuild the pool. You should also verify that your disks are not failing.

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
I think the disk are all good:
upload_2016-10-14_15-47-23.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm unsure if that disk controller actually works correctly with zfs. Can you run smartctl -a /dev/da0(or whatever your disk is called)?

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
so im looking for ways to remove the cache when I cant import the pool except in readonly mode...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
yes - the controller is all good
How do you know? You need to start providing information if you expect help.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
How do you know? You need to start providing information if you expect help.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
the controller has been running for a couple of weeks without incident and all disk are reporting online and smartctl reports no errors. It looks like its related to the cache disk

rs225

Guru
Depending on the age of the pool, this could be the L2ARC corruption bug.

Whatever the case, your only viable option is probably to offload your data and create a new pool.

If you think the L2ARC devices are the problem, just remove them when shut down. It should be possible to import the pool without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.