Pool offline after replacing disk

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Rebooting the NAS. After trying to replace the bad drive it seems it isn't showing in the OS now.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If the disk shows up after that, recheck your zpool status. Probably the old disk is now just an integer number instead of a gptid. Use that for your replacement command, and the gptid for the new disk.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
If the disk shows up after that, recheck your zpool status. Probably the old disk is now just an integer number instead of a gptid. Use that for your replacement command, and the gptid for the new disk.
Ok will do. Thanks!
I'm working remotely and I think I hit shutdown instead of reboot. So I'll try this later when I'm home.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
We were working with ada0, not da0, so I guess if it's no longer showing up, there's a problem with the new disk.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Welp, writing that to the boot drive was a terrible mistake... So now we have no OS and a degraded pool. Where to from here XD
Is it possible to fix this from here? Or should I just try access this data, back it up and start from scratch?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do a fresh installation, import the pool, work from there - this at least should not be a big deal.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Do a fresh installation, import the pool, work from there - this at least should not be a big deal.
Sweet as, downloading the core now. Once it's all back up and running, how do I import the pool? And will importing all the drives fix the problem?
Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Storage --> Pools --> Add --> Import existing.

If all your drives will be recognized only trying it can tell.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Ok, should I only import the disks from the pool, or import all the disks including the new disk / replacement disk?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't import disks. Just import the pool. "Import disks" is a feature completely unrelated to what you are trying to do. It let's you mount NTFS (IIRC) or FAT32 formatted disk for import of data to your pool. Just add the existing pool in its degraded state. Then, if your new ada0 is present, we can retry the replace operation.

Just to be on the safe side - we would need a current output of zpool status and glabel status to know what to do.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Don't import disks. Just import the pool. "Import disks" is a feature completely unrelated to what you are trying to do. It let's you mount NTFS (IIRC) or FAT32 formatted disk for import of data to your pool. Just add the existing pool in its degraded state. Then, if your new ada0 is present, we can retry the replace operation.

Just to be on the safe side - we would need a current output of zpool status and glabel status to know what to do.
Ok, will do. Thanks.
Still waiting on the download, will post those outputs as soon as I can.

Paengaroa

Dabbler
Ok new problem.
Apparently whatever res truenas installer and OS runs on is out of range of my monitors range. And it's my only VGA monitor (old mobo only has VGA). This rabit hole is getting a little crazy.
Is there anyway I can access the data on the drives and make a backup just so I have some confidence it's all there so I can take my time re getting a new monitor and the machine back up and running?

Paengaroa

Dabbler
I was running 4 drives in RAID1

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can boot a FreeBSD 13 live CD/memstick and import your pool. No UI, though - all command line, including copying the data.
Or you can use some other system or a VM environment to install to a USB drive, then put that in your NAS and boot it. That's probably easier.