Plugins Outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
It doesn’t take much more than 30 minutes to create and configure ownCloud/Nextcloud in a jail following one of the excellent guides, and you’ll learn a little about how it’s working and can update it as often or infrequently as you like.

I gave up with the plugins pretty early on my FreeNAS journey and it’s one of the best decisions I made. I feel much more comfortable playing around with lots of stuff having a little knowledge about how things work underneath, and have even managed to create a few jails without the need for a detailed guide.

Rather than moan about the plugins being out of date, learn how to create one manually and you’ll have a much happier FreeNAS experience

ThreeDee

Guru
I ended up not using the plugins and creating my own jails due to cosmetic idiosyncrasies after updating to latest version of Plex manually in the jail.. it was so easy that I also did a jail for PlexPY and UniFi controller. Just disregard the "Plugins" button and use the "Jails" button because "Plugins" wont show anything installed if you manually create your own jails. once 11.1 and iocage is implemented, I'll redo all my jails again.

indivision

Guru
I'm just tired of the complaining and think people should just fix it if they don't like it.

Why? It's not really your business.

I created this thread for the subject of the plugins being outdated. You and a few others seem bent on turning it into a larger argument connected to the direction of FreeNAS and what people should, in your opinion, expect from it.

Please start your own thread if that's what you want to discuss. If you don't have something constructive to add to the thread topic, I'm not really interested.

Yes, they're such a "huge selling point" that they don't even appear on the landing page at all. When they do appear, here's what they say:

The quote you provide doesn't change anything. FreeBSD itself is developed by a third party. So what?

The plugins used to be updated more frequently than they are now. It's a valid question to wonder what to expect moving forward.

As I note above, if you would like to argue with people about what they should think of FreeNAS, please start your own thread.

It doesn’t take much more than 30 minutes to create and configure ownCloud/Nextcloud in a jail following one of the excellent guides, and you’ll learn a little about how it’s working and can update it as often or infrequently as you like.

I gave up with the plugins pretty early on my FreeNAS journey and it’s one of the best decisions I made. I feel much more comfortable playing around with lots of stuff having a little knowledge about how things work underneath, and have even managed to create a few jails without the need for a detailed guide.

Rather than moan about the plugins being out of date, learn how to create one manually and you’ll have a much happier FreeNAS experience

You probably have more experience with FreeBSD than others. I spent a good amount of time trying to get ownCloud to work with and without the plugin. Way more than 30 minutes and it still never got off the ground for me.

I was perfectly happy to use FreeNAS with those plugins WITHOUT having to take the additional time to build custom jails. But, if plugins being this far behind is the new normal to expect, you are probably right that building custom jails is also a new requirement. As noted by myself and others, FreeNAS should make that clear up front if it's the case.

At this point, I'm thinking about just running Ubuntu Server for all of this. If I'm having to build and maintain most of it in CLI anyway might as well just go headless with all of it. There are a lot of up sides in the flexibility of that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
As I note above, if you would like to argue with people about what they should think of FreeNAS, please start your own thread.
Or not. If you (and others) are going to continue to falsely suggest that the plugins are a "huge selling point" and "part of the fundamental purpose" of FreeNAS, such that their loss would result in a "drastic drop" in FreeNAS use, then you're going to be challenged. You're entitled to your own opinions; you aren't entitled to your own facts.

Yes, many of the plugins are further out of date than they have often been in the past. There are a few constructive ways of addressing that issue. You're exercising none of them.

indivision

Guru
Or not. If you (and others) are going to continue to falsely suggest that the plugins are a "huge selling point" and "part of the fundamental purpose" of FreeNAS, such that their loss would result in a "drastic drop" in FreeNAS use, then you're going to be challenged. You're entitled to your own opinions; you aren't entitled to your own facts.

Yes, many of the plugins are further out of date than they have often been in the past. There are a few constructive ways of addressing that issue. You're exercising none of them.

People have made that point in response to you. Not the other way around. Without your attempt at arguing with everyone, it never would have come up.

Lets make this simple. This thread was created for people who think that plugins are an important feature of FreeNAS. If that isn't you, go have fun somewhere else. You're really just trolling at this point.

diedrichg

Wizard
Instead of complaining, give back to the community; run a FreeBSD VM instance in your favorite OS, install the plugin maker, and help update the plugins.

indivision

Guru
Instead of complaining, give back to the community; run a FreeBSD VM instance in your favorite OS, install the plugin maker, and help update the plugins.

Sounds like a great idea for the few users here talking about how quick and easy it is to do. Looking forward to it!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Exactly what I have been saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

indivision

Guru
You're the one that can do this all very quickly and easily. Why don't you do it instead of complaining about people complaining?

danb35

Hall of Famer
This thread was created for people who think that plugins are an important feature of FreeNAS.
So you created the thread so you could complain, which is been obvious for some time. You're not interested in doing anything productive to address your concern, which has also been obvious for some time. But it's me who's a troll? Nice try.

I would very much like to, but I haven't yet found the documentation about how to do it. The only documentation I have found is http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Creating_your_own_PBIs which is placed on a wiki that is entirely depricated so I don't know if it is valid. Does anyone have a link to a documentation of the maintenance of the current plugins so that I can help updating the nextcloud plugin.

I have tried the iocage link which is previously put in this thread, but it doesn't seem like the iocage implementation distributed with freenas 11 is fully production ready and therefore I would like to help update the old system.

skywise_ca

Dabbler
  • 1 - Connect to your FreeNAS Server via SSH or open the Shell via Web GUI
  • 2 - Type: jls and note the # of your Plex Media Server Jail
  • 3 - Type: jexec #jailnumber csh (for example: jexec 1 csh)
  • 4 - Type: fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
  • 5 - Type: chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
  • 6 - Type: ./PMS_Updater.sh -vv -a
  • 7 - Done! You are on the newest version again
Further to this method..
If you stick your plexPass ID/password in a file and add -c pmsID.txt to the update command, it'll update you to the latest plexpass version of the server.

indivision

Guru
So you created the thread so you could complain, which is been obvious for some time. You're not interested in doing anything productive to address your concern, which has also been obvious for some time. But it's me who's a troll? Nice try.

You have to do some nifty mental gymnastics to arrive at that position. But, the floor is all yours!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well that only works for the Plex plugin as I understand it?
Correct that script only work on the plugin. If you are not running the plugin you just pkg upgrade and it's all taken care of for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

raidflex

Guru
You probably have more experience with FreeBSD than others. I spent a good amount of time trying to get ownCloud to work with and without the plugin. Way more than 30 minutes and it still never got off the ground for me.

I was perfectly happy to use FreeNAS with those plugins WITHOUT having to take the additional time to build custom jails. But, if plugins being this far behind is the new normal to expect, you are probably right that building custom jails is also a new requirement. As noted by myself and others, FreeNAS should make that clear up front if it's the case.

At this point, I'm thinking about just running Ubuntu Server for all of this. If I'm having to build and maintain most of it in CLI anyway might as well just go headless with all of it. There are a lot of up sides in the flexibility of that.

You automatically assume because Owncloud was more of a PITA to setup that now all ports are difficult/time consuming to install. There are many apps that DO NOT require much more then a few simple commands to install/configure.

Also in most cases there tends to be guide you can find that will walk you through installing apps like Owncloud.

adrianwi

Guru
Why? It's not really your business.

I had almost no experience of FreeBSD, or Linux for that matter, when I started using FreeNAS, but built up a little experience bit by bit using the jails manually rather than relying on plugins that were often out of date and sometimes difficult to update. The Joshua guide for installing ownCloud in a jail has been updated and pretty much perfected over time, and should be pretty straightforward to follow for someone with almost no knowledge. Pretty sure you could copy and paste the commands into the jail shell and it would work.

Nucshuco

Explorer
Well that only works for the Plex plugin as I understand it?
Works with jails also. Just edit the script and change
PMSPARENTPATH="/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share"
to
PMSPARENTPATH="/usr/local/share"

Stranded Camel

Explorer
I think it's pretty clear, the fact that we're dealing with third-party stuff is mentioned three times in four sentences.

"Third-party" is decidedly not synonymous with "unsupported", "unmaintained by the manufacturer" (of FreeNAS) or "completely dependent on the free time, generosity and technical prowess of one or two random souls who donate their labour to make sure that iX Systems' premiere software 'can do everything you want'".

Most, if not virtually all, people are going to read "To make sure your NAS can do everything you want, FreeNAS offers a third-party plugin system" and assume that the manufacturer of FreeNAS is completely behind this ecosystem. And that's more than a bit deceptive.

indivision

Guru
You automatically assume because Owncloud was more of a PITA to setup that now all ports are difficult/time consuming to install. There are many apps that DO NOT require much more then a few simple commands to install/configure.

Also in most cases there tends to be guide you can find that will walk you through installing apps like Owncloud.

I didn't make that assumption at all. My experience is that with CLI work, things rarely go as simply as following the guides. There are quite often things about your system that vary from the one the guide was based on. So, various permissions issues have to be sorted out, etc. It's always something. And that isn't a complaint at all. It's just factoring in a realistic assessment of time.

I think that the best outcome here would be for a faster update plan to be implemented by iX. It improves the quality of product and is a more efficient use of effort.

If that's not possible, I'll have to weigh my options between finding some time to re-do the jails for the 50th time. Or, switch over to running the volumes on Ubuntu Server.

I had almost no experience of FreeBSD, or Linux for that matter, when I started using FreeNAS, but built up a little experience bit by bit using the jails manually rather than relying on plugins that were often out of date and sometimes difficult to update. The Joshua guide for installing ownCloud in a jail has been updated and pretty much perfected over time, and should be pretty straightforward to follow for someone with almost no knowledge. Pretty sure you could copy and paste the commands into the jail shell and it would work.

Thank you. I'll have to check that guide out. Maybe I was following a different one that wasn't as well put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.