Plugins Outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
Switched to 11 from Corral and went back to plugins.

Half of the plugins give warnings that there are new versions of the software available. Are they really outdated (potentially creating security issues)? Or, is this a flaw in the plugin system that gives false warnings?

indivision

Guru
Plex, Sickrage, SABnzbd. I'm not sure that there are any plugins that aren't reporting newer versions available.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
As far as i know you can update plex on your own via this script: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater. Sickrage updates itself to the latest commit if auto update is enabled or you can do it manually. I'm not personally using SABnzbd so i wouldn't know about that. In general plugins (some more than others) are not updated very quickly, since they rely on their mantainers. Regarding your concerns about security issues: plex's updates are mostly bug fixes or new features, but it might be that issues are found and they get fixed. I still suggest you to install those applications on your own if you're able to.

indivision

Guru
I used the plugin system for quite a stretch. It was a minor inconvenience that updates were a bit behind. But, usually, they weren't behind to the point that half of the most widely used plugins were outdated at the same time. I guess something changed in how those are monitored and managed?

I'd have to spend some time figuring out how to install the applications outside of a plugin/docker system in FreeBSD. Using third party scripts to update also is a time-sink I've hoped to avoid by using a system like FreeNAS.

Plex, at least in the past, has stopped working altogether when the server version is older than what the Plex clients are looking for...

diskdiddler

Wizard
I used the plugin system for quite a stretch. It was a minor inconvenience that updates were a bit behind. But, usually, they weren't behind to the point that half of the most widely used plugins were outdated at the same time. I guess something changed in how those are monitored and managed?

I'd have to spend some time figuring out how to install the applications outside of a plugin/docker system in FreeBSD. Using third party scripts to update also is a time-sink I've hoped to avoid by using a system like FreeNAS.

Plex, at least in the past, has stopped working altogether when the server version is older than what the Plex clients are looking for...

I agree - but we will eventually get docker support again, is my understanding, so eventually an easier to maintain system will happen.
The guy who does sabnzbd hasn't done the new version yet, I'm a tiny bit surprised, because it's like, I dunno 5 or 6 weeks now I've been seeing the update notice, maybe even 2 months.

indivision

Guru
I'm a tiny bit surprised, because it's like, I dunno 5 or 6 weeks now I've been seeing the update notice, maybe even 2 months.

Yeah. It was never a great system. But, for the last few years it hadn't been that behind. Add Headphones to the list of outdated plugins...

We'll see what form docker support takes.

indivision

Guru
Some client devices aren't working with Plex Server. After some searching, it sounds like it is due to the outdated version...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What version did you update from? Sometimes there just isn't an updated version when you are running an older version of freenas.

You can also install your applications using pkg in a jail. Then you just update them with pkg upgrade. My jails are never more than 1 day from latest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

indivision

Guru
I'm using the latest 11-Stable.

I so far haven't learned how to run a generic os in a jail like that. On one hand, I'm tempted to learn. But, I've been using FreeNAS for years in order to avoid diving in that deep with my server software (too many other languages and OS to learn!). Probably some tricky steps in terms of autostarting the things I want, getting correct permissions/security, hooking into data outside jail, etc.

It sounds like docker is around the corner now also. So, I'm not sure I want to make the investment into building my own custom plex jails when I will just be transition back to a docker soon anyway.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm using the latest 11-Stable.

I so far haven't learned how to run a generic os in a jail like that. On one hand, I'm tempted to learn. But, I've been using FreeNAS for years in order to avoid diving in that deep with my server software (too many other languages and OS to learn!). Probably some tricky steps in terms of autostarting the things I want, getting correct permissions/security, hooking into data outside jail, etc.

It sounds like docker is around the corner now also. So, I'm not sure I want to make the investment into building my own custom plex jails when I will just be transition back to a docker soon anyway.

You update your plugins by using the update button in the GUI.

Docker will not solve your problem it might make it even worse.

Jails do not run a os they just freebsd and you run programs in them.

indivision

Guru
You update your plugins by using the update button in the GUI.

Docker will not solve your problem it might make it even worse.

Jails do not run a os they just freebsd and you run programs in them.

I know how to update the plugins in the GUI. But, the updates to take the apps to latest versions are not available.

Docker did solve the problem at least as it was implemented in Corral. The container [images] were more maintained.

Thank you for the clarification about jails. Though, that doesn't seem to change the equation...?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I know how to update the plugins in the GUI. But, the updates to take the apps to latest versions are not available.

Docker did solve the problem at least as it was implemented in Corral. The container [images] were more maintained.

Thank you for the clarification about jails. Though, that doesn't seem to change the equation...?
The plugins run the latest for everyone else but you. They are maybe 2-3 days behind on updates but docker will be exactly the same thing. Someone still has to update the container just like they update the port.

indivision

Guru
The plugins run the latest for everyone else but you.

That doesn't seem to be the case given that diskdiddler is reporting the same thing above.

But, I guess there could be some bug in 11-Stable causing this? What are you basing that on that everyone has the latest?

They are maybe 2-3 days behind on updates but docker will be exactly the same thing. Someone still has to update the container just like they update the port.

Someone else manages the image. My understanding is that it's easier to update to the latest image than to update a port for a jail.

Of course, it could get neglected and we would have outdated apps in both jails and docker. Yeah. That would suck.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That doesn't seem to be the case given that diskdiddler is reporting the same thing above.

But, I guess there could be some bug in 11-Stable causing this? What are you basing that on that everyone has the latest?

Someone else manages the image. My understanding is that it's easier to update to the latest image than to update a port for a jail.

Of course, it could get neglected and we would have outdated apps in both jails and docker. Yeah. That would suck.
I'm done talking about this you clearly don't won't to use jails or care to learn how they work. Docker is great but much more complicated than jails.

indivision

Guru
I'm done talking about this you clearly don't won't to use jails or care to learn how they work. Docker is great but much more complicated than jails.

I used jails for years. I used Docker for as long as it was available in FreeNAS. I'm not sure what complexity you are referring to?

It sounds like you're trying to persuade me about which system to like. All I really want at this point in time is some way to use the latest versions of apps in FreeNAS. You're throwing out claims that it's something I've done wrong. I'm open to that. But, I'm not sure what.

Here, look at the versions that 11-Stable (from clean install) shows available:

apps.PNG

Now, go look up some of those apps and see what the latest version numbers are. Are you sure that I'm the only one with outdated apps here?

Plex: https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ They are on version 1.7.5.4035-313f93718

SABnzbd: https://sabnzbd.org/downloads - Version 2.10

There are others.

ThreeDee

Guru
  • 1 - Connect to your FreeNAS Server via SSH or open the Shell via Web GUI
  • 2 - Type: jls and note the # of your Plex Media Server Jail
  • 3 - Type: jexec #jailnumber csh (for example: jexec 1 csh)
  • 4 - Type: fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
  • 5 - Type: chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
  • 6 - Type: ./PMS_Updater.sh -vv -a
  • 7 - Done! You are on the newest version again

ThreeDee

Guru
I can't take credit for anything .. I was experiencing the same thing and did a google search and came across that for plex and ran it myself and BAM! .. my Plex was updated. :)

indivision

Guru
I can't take credit for anything .. I was experiencing the same thing and did a google search and came across that for plex and ran it myself and BAM! .. my Plex was updated. :)

Hah. Thank you for taking the time to share the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.