Plugin for Amazon Drive (Unlimited Everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If encrypted, it would be real nice to be able to upload some datasets to the cloud. It would be nice to have another redundancy point. at $59.9/year, it's a good price.

The sticking point, as usual, is getting large amounts of data onto and off of such a service in an expedient manner. Residential broadband upstream speeds are still frequently limited to some horrifyingly low number.

Shark88

Dabbler
If I could have a wishlist, I would love to see the ability to encrypt data on the freenas and upload it to amazon with a time schedule, such as backup data only at night to preserve the performance of the broadband line at day.

fullmetaljester

Dabbler
would also like to see this, i'm sick of waiting for SpiderOak and don't want Crashplan.

xxsj

Dabbler
Definitely something I need to backup my home backups in the cloud. I'd rather do it by selecting a dataset to backup to Amazon automatically! Hopefully this becomes reality, but I doubt it since it could be abused by businesses

danb35

Hall of Famer
http://www.hashbackup.com/ says it will back up to Amazon S3 and Glacier storage--it seems like a natural to extend it to the Cloud Drive as well.

ETA: ...but it isn't OSS/Free Software and the developer is planning to charge for it...

Last edited:

Xelas

Explorer
With Crashplan getting to be a bigger and bigger PITA to use in FreeNAS, this would be GREAT! I'll throw money at Amazon if there were a way to use this via rsync.

EDIT - rsync so that you can store snapshots and have filesystem history - useful for backups, since a file that has recently been corrupted or accidentally damaged/spoiled by a user can be recovered with an earlier version. You can also send an encrypted stream to keep your files private.

EDIT2: OK, this is a bit off-putting:

"3.2 Usage Restrictions and Limits. The Service is offered in the United States. We may restrict access from other locations. There may be limits on the types of content you can store and share using the Service, such as file types we don't support, and on the number or type of devices you can use to access the Service. We may impose other restrictions on use of the Service.​

"5.2 Suspension and Termination. Your rights under the Agreement will automatically terminate without notice if you fail to comply with its terms. We may terminate the Agreement or restrict, suspend or terminate your use of the Service at our discretion without notice at any time, including if we determine that your use violates the Agreement, is improper, substantially exceeds or differs from normal use by other users, or otherwise involves fraud or misuse of the Service or harms our interests or those of another user of the Service. If your Service Plan is restricted, suspended or terminated, you may be unable to access Your Files and you will not receive any refund of fees or any other compensation."​

[Emphasis is mine]

So if they don't like the device you're using (a NAS instead of a phone or "normal" PC), or if they think your usage pattern is nor "normal" (which it won't be - a NAS backing up to this kind of service will definitely stand out), then they can just turn off the account and not refund your money.

Last edited:

aidman

Cadet
Sounds promising... any tips for others considering this? Did you run into anything unexpected or notable?

I've just spent the last couple hours fiddling around, and have a few tips. No matter how much time I spend, I seem to be a perpetual BSD novice...

I was using the following guide: "Mounting Amazon Cloud Drive and Uploading Encrypted Data". I spun up a new jail, and set to work getting the aforementioned acd_cli to work. The setup guide helped me through this portion. However, I could not get the init function to work. Turns out that python3.4 does not ship with the necessary sqlite modules. Removed it, and moved to the ports tree. ports/lang/python34 is where I installed python, then I moved to ports/databases/py34-sqlite3 for the sqlite module. find /usr/local/lib/ -name _sqlite3* 2>/dev/null was used to verify that installation was successful (a successful installation yielded the output: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/lib-dynload/_sqlite3.so).

Now that I had
acd_cli working, the guide suggested I use encfs to encrypt and mount files to a new location. A short ports/sysutils/fusefs-encfs && make install clean took care of that. Here comes the fun part: encfs uses FUSE, which seems to require a kernel module. Solving this, thanks to some helpful comments here, won't be possible or remotely easy until the change to FreeBSD 10.

tl;dr: can move data to Amazon Cloud using
acd_cli, but haven't figured out how to easily encrypt it before moving it.

mattbbpl

Patron
Legaleze: The only language where an explicit decree of "unlimited" translates to "limited". Just define the limit in the fine print, make it soft, and problem solved.

I would have been surprised if they didn't do that though seeing as Microsoft just recently pulled their unlimited cloud storage due to people backing up the entirety of their data on it. They would have seen the same type of situation - users backing up terabytes of data.

I'm on the same path as you guys, but I found another way not involving Jails - a nice tool called RClone.
It runs on freeBSD amongst others, and I just set it up to sync my freeNAS to my Amazon Cloud Drive using a Cron task.
It supports all sorts of cloud services - perhaps you should give it a spin.

Cheers Kurt

hilld

Cadet
I'm on the same path as you guys, but I found another way not involving Jails - a nice tool called RClone.
It runs on freeBSD amongst others, and I just set it up to sync my freeNAS to my Amazon Cloud Drive using a Cron task.
It supports all sorts of cloud services - perhaps you should give it a spin.

Cheers Kurt

Kurt,

can you provide instructions on how you set it up or point to some online docs? I have looked and not found much, new to FreeNas, but not new to Amazon CloudDrive.

Thanks,

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.