Writing a new plugin: where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDB

Cadet
Hi!

I'm a software dev by day and a (new) FreeNAS user by night. I'm thinking about creating a plugin for Amazon Cloud Drive using their REST API. AFAIK, this integration is high on people's want lists.

I have enough years under my belt as a software dev to code my way out of Amazon's REST API in pretty much any programming language, however I am new to jails, PBI. I'm a Linux/Mac/Windows guy.

So far I have just discovered this. Moderately useful.

Looking for any information on the above subjects that will get me started with plugin development for FreeNAS.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
here's pretty much what I know/do for freenas 9.x plugins
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/more-plugins.14626/page-2#post-175364

but for freenas 10, plugins will be based on docker images. would be good to learn how to make those. I haven't experimented with building freebsd docker images yet, but the process looks fairly simple from what I've read.

do you have a freebsd port for what you want to do? that's where I recommend you start since it will be relevant for docker images as well.

TDB

Cadet
Thanks for the info. So what's the time frame for v.10? I mean if it's around the corner, I won't waste time with PBI and just focus on the software itself in the meanwhile. You are correct about the port: I will need 1) the software 2) packaged as a port. Do we already know how the plugin in a container will communicate with freenas?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info. So what's the time frame for v.10? I mean if it's around the corner, I won't waste time with PBI and just focus on the software itself in the meanwhile. You are correct about the port: I will need 1) the software 2) packaged as a port. Do we already know how the plugin in a container will communicate with freenas?
I don't know how long, maybe ask in the FN10 part of the forum.
I don't think the communication part has been detailed yet.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
but for freenas 10, plugins will be based on docker images. would be good to learn how to make those. I haven't experimented with building freebsd docker images yet, but the process looks fairly simple from what I've read.

It would be interesting to get Rancher (http://rancher.com/) working on FN10 as a management console for all the docker containers

Sakuru

Guru

Sakuru

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.