Options regarding “CrashPlan for Home” closure (my research so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwf

Dabbler
In my case Crashplan was used i my case for 2 things , NAS ==> cloud, LAN clients to NAS (using the comp to comp)
So there 2 main questions :
  1. Backing up NAS to cloud : I think Hazimil research answer that question
    Crashplan for small business seem (at least for me ) to be the way to go
    rclone seems to be viable as well

2. Backing up LAN client (Mac/Win/*nix) to NAS (to replace the computer to computer) : is my actual concern
    Rigth now i am testing Urbackup
    I like Veeam bu no client for MAC

Any suggestion are welcome

Tim1962

Patron
I too am using URBackup to get laptops to backup onto NAS, and then backing up that folder via Crashplan (in Docker on a Ubuntu Server VM) onto CP cloud. Currently using CP Home in Docker though anticipate migrating to CP Small Business in the next month or two once I've thought through the finances of 2 students on the CP Family plan.

Yet to work out if I have set up URBackup most efficiently, there does seem an awful lot of data being stored...

Z300M

Guru
I assume that all you people who are backing up to some kind of cloud service have Internet with much higher upload speeds than I do: 60mbps down is tolerable, but 5mbps up (and possibly a monthly cap as well) makes backing up to the cloud impractical.

icsy7867

Contributor
I wish Carbonite or Backblaze has a linux client that I could just mount NFS shares.

I am actually looking at using:
https://sia.tech/
(Whoops, saw someone else had a post about sia already on page 1! Sorry about that)

would cost about $6/Month for my needs currently (A $3.00 cost to download the files in case of an unrecoverable crash. This technology is a bit newer though, and might scare away some. It uses blockchain technology to encrypted and piece out into the "cloud", where users get paid in digital currency (Sort of like bitcoin, but a saicoin) to host others data. It is supposed to be very secure, redundant and fast. My new X10SDV motherboard for my new freenas build will be coming in soon and I might give this a shot.

On a similar note, you can actually rent out your NAS's free space for digital currency that can be converted easily to USD. currently there is a surplus of users willing to store data, to users actually needing data stored. StorJ is another company that does this on a more "Enterprise" level. If anyone is feeling adventurous, I recommend checking it out.

Last edited:

icsy7867

Contributor
After some research on Sia and StorJ I determined they weren't quite ready for prime time.

I think the block storage idea is genius, but there are some files you have to back up manually to keep track of your storage.

I also found wasabi (https://wasabi.com) which has great prices (0.0035/gb), but they only backup up to one region, and have a minimum of 1tb.

So up to ~700Gb BackBlaze (B2) is your cheapest option, above that wasabi is cheaper. Once you have ~$120.00/year, crashplan's small business account is probably the way to go.

I had tons of data, but with my new build, my critical backups are only about 350GB. So I'll be sticking with BackBlaze B2 for a while.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
So up to ~700Gb BackBlaze (B2) is your cheapest option
I only have about 400GB that must be backed up so maybe I'll look into this more.

pschatz100

Guru
The recent 11.1 release announcement says: FreeNAS 11.1 adds a cloud sync (data import/export to the cloud) feature. This new feature lets you sync (similar to backup), move (erase from source), or copy (only changed data) data to and from public cloud providers that include Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Services), Backblaze B2 Cloud, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure.

Will this make things any easier for backing up to the cloud? I'm not necessarily looking for a free solution, but a cost-effective solution that is relatively to set up would be greatly appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The new feature integrates with those cloud storage providers, so yes, it should be easier. The details are probably in the manual.

pschatz100

Guru
This thread predates the 11.1 release, so if any of the posters who evaluated backup options to Crash Plan are still looking for solutions then perhaps one of them might come up with some new ideas. I'm interested in good cloud backup, but I don't have the experience in this area.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This thread predates the 11.1 release
I don't see how the release of 11.1 changes things in this regard. Nothing's changed with respect to the service providers themselves. True, 11.1 does include a "cloud sync" feature, but that just uses rclone behind the curtain, so there's really nothing that you couldn't have done before.

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
I'm in the process of building a new Box and am thinking about going with some questionable drives. HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 3TB to be precise. They are from GoHdd.com. Over at Servethehome.com they are raved upon being well awesome. Since my new box is a sm826 I can fit 12 of these into it. I'm planning on going with 7 for now. I will use 6 in a 1x6x3 Z2 to start with to get the new machine up and running. Then Clone my current box onto that setup. Then once that has proven "stable"[first by badblocks before pool creation then by just having it in production for a few months] I want to then take the 5 1tb WD reds from the current box and the remaining 3tb HGST to create a new pool populating the remaining 6 bays. Planning on a 2x6x3tb&1tb raidZ2 I will then over time replace the 1tb drives with either 3tbs or something else. At any rate, I currently only backup one windows computer to the nas via ISCSI. This side of the backup isn't my concern. I directly save all data I'm worried about directly to the NAS box. So with that. I'm worried about these new drives and concerned about my data. I could just leave the old NAS on [wasting watts] but I don't want 2 machines. So I've been looking into this Crashplan SB plan. I just not sure I understand what this entails. What I'm hoping will happen is that Freenas will copy the data of the entire POOLs and upload it to Crashplan. I'm hoping should I loose both pools since loosing 3 drives on one pool is possible resulting in total data loss that If I then replace said 3 dead drives. I can then download the entire data from crashplan & rebuild the pools as if nothing ever happened? * I just read more into crashplan. It looks like this may not be what I was thinking it was going to be. I'm looking for uploading say a Snapshot of the entire pool. Should it be lost that snapshot is downloaded to reconstruct the entire pool? How do I go about doing this?

Last edited:

Hoowahman

Cadet
Seems finding a replacement is still quite difficult if you don't want to go with CrashPlan Business Plan. Anyone have an update on another service that would work with freenas?

adrianwi

Guru
If you had a CrashPlan Home subscription, the 75% off (i.e. $30, or half the CrashPlan Home price) on an annual CrashPlan Small Business plan seems like a no-brainer to me. To be honest, if it continues to work as well as it has for the last 3-4 months then I don't think $120 a year is a bad price and there doesn't appear to be too many other options if you're looking to store several TBs of data.

stevocmac

Cadet
I may be a bit late to the party here, but, for those looking to back up remote computers, there is an SDN application called ZeroTier that might be useful. It will allow you to create a virtual VPN on your FreeNAS and then add the remote clients -- whether Linux, Mac, or Windows -- to that same virtual network, and eliminates the need for a VPN setup or opening ports to backup clients over WAN. I have been using ZeroTier in conjunction with UrBackup to backup remote Windows machines to my QNAP for many months now without any issues.

This thread speaks of setting up ZeroTier on FreeNAS -- https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/zerotier-how-is-this-configured.56070/

I have not yet set up ZeroTier on FreeNAS so I am unsure of any complications that you may run into, but, if ZeroTier on FreeNAS is stable and "autostartable", this would open up many options for remote backup options.

**Of note, ZeroTier's free option allows unlimited networks but only 100 endpoints. If you need more than that, there is a $29USD/month subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.