Alternatives to CrashPlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
So got this little gem in the email today. I was originally a carbonite user but I ditched them for several reasons
1. The more you push the more they throttle you
2. Worked only on Winders

Crashplan is amazing with the family plan and the fact that people have built containers/jails for this wonderful service has made my backups a breeze.

So I'm curious what services the rest of the community uses for offsite backups for us home users.

Thank you all for your help and I wish the rest of us CP users the best as we begin our hunt.

Yes I know nothing beats a local backup and I have that but CP is nice in case of a fire or some other catastrophic event.

Code:

hLJodDx8TpZQBZ0iim4tPl2pB7FD3oJbrAy0LNPpOFMjBIBDB3oKdAFlPpIBmuFmuUamnlgG3aWOxM5fdiC84_ViY5qErbtzz_Y7zthEa1fdUFRcM7C5JR5xlQ=s0-d-e1-ft
CrashPlan® for Home Transition Information Here's what you need to know
P5yYYf3JcWFbUUNuQeFOqZXKWxyKGcCRg2sWrqZCD-uMhqweZQ5c_z02mpbbztM9TnGq-ftL5O_-W76zjW-V_ucRN6iSxyftue6GETiLnupBgQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Hello, Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We're honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data. It's because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months we will be exiting the consumer market and you must choose another option for data backup before your subscription expires. We are committed to providing you with an easy and efficient transition. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU We will honor your existing CrashPlan for Home subscription, keeping your data safe, as always, until your current subscription expires. To allow you time to transition to a new backup solution, we've extended your subscription (at no cost to you) by 60 days. Your new subscription expiration date is 05/31/2018. YOUR CHOICES Your first step is to consider the options below, available exclusively for CrashPlan for Home customers. Once you make your selection, no further action is required until your new expiration date. We will send you reminders well before your CrashPlan for Home subscription ends. Option 1
NuonZUfZm5Uhx61D3rSqzD55UABqjKhEBzkMEFDm6OBaD6RuK25puPfHRqaVKgavh2g8DQXDL2efkAE-5NAYmSrzVGgLg3DiJhmfQbRIJY762fk1-oc=s0-d-e1-ft
Migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business in a Matter of Minutes
2Hm9x3CYo93q5Y1V1pgyGFG-AULkVBi7sBZrj2gAtWKz5o2A-BaHQS3XL2WduaYMHc4trYwT3ScW-40kStRbxgDnA7-fmei5rSYElw2kVfM2MOqGkc-wQSE=s0-d-e1-ft
If you're a small business, freelancer or just getting your side hustle on, quickly move your data* into CrashPlan for Small Business for the remainder of your current subscription for free. After that, enjoy 75% off the regular price for the next 12 consecutive months. Get unlimited backup at an affordable monthly price and access our intuitive administration console for managing multiple users. CLICK TO GET CRASHPLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS Option 2
-gUeRJzha7urXgbmx6lRbjgvZI1gpNPjr_DVVtWX1A3KqXKOICwX9yguBFBRTuevQqqmHdQ7oDc8W4ZPqaZhy1bRdHsw_LBVWT4csq_UtJWDHerPsuI=s0-d-e1-ft
If You're Backing Up Home Computers, Easily Start Up With Carbonite
3YDowR9qTPKy_jOvIJuPgJACwC3IciqYZQL6ucwvGCRTc8cJq43eGN8CdSpKYjSCJ7NeFzd72didN966tDm-tjqYRnNwiDDopovJOASgjuGE2oyIzunrILo=s0-d-e1-ft
We've selected Carbonite as our exclusive partner for home users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy.

Tookerder

Dabbler
Got this email as well and looking for an alternative. Will check out tarsnap, although I have a pretty large amount backed up.

elforesto

Dabbler
Options are heinously slim. CrashPlan is one of the few providers with a native *NIX client. Most of them won't support backing up over shared drives either. And then there's the pricing (cheapest alternative I could find was Backblaze's B2 with a third party client which is still 4x CrashPlan's cost).

Right now, it looks like the most cost-effective solution is going to be migrating to CrashPlan Small Business ($10/mo per device, still unlimited). Since they won't migrate backups over 5TB (I have 8.1TB backed up right now), I'll have to back everything up from scratch at their insanely slow data speeds. This means I'm taking my box to a friend's office so it'll complete in less than a year (not kidding).

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Got this email as well and looking for an alternative. Will check out tarsnap, although I have a pretty large amount backed up.
I'm with you I have over 8TB to push

Tim1962

Patron
I was going to start this thread too!!! Still mildly reeling having relied on CP and FreeNAS for some years. I wonder if CP for Home is actually going to stop working, could we continue to use the Computer to computer functionality into FreeNAS and disable the CP central bit, then find an alternative remote function for the vital bits to backup/with or without the Central repository in FreeNAS.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I wonder if since they'll only merge up to 5TB over if you can choose what is migrated. Will have to figure out what to do with the rest of us here at the house since I was on the family plan.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
For what it's worth, I have a crashplan pro account. These are $10 per computer. My 'computer' happens to be a Centos VM with all my SMB shares mounted RO. :)

wraith

Contributor
I spent a lot of time today going over the various options - Backblaze, SOS, iDrive, Carbonite. For $120/yr [and keep on doing what @anodos and mysefl is doing], IMO, Crashplan Pro still provides the best value :)

nello

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.