Seeking CrashPlan Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
I have CrashPlan on desktop/laptop Macs (source) backing up over the Internet to my FreeNAS (destination) using Crashplan's peer-to-peer service that they call their "computer-to-computer" feature. But this feature is going away:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/psa-crashplan-for-home-discontinued.57215/

What alternatives should I consider? What are others using to remotely backup Macs to FreeNAS?

8/24/17 Update
Reworded for clarity and completeness

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have CrashPlan on my FreeNAS to backup local and remote desktop and laptop computers. I used their free peer-to-peer service to do this but all home accounts, including peer-to-peer, are going away:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/psa-crashplan-for-home-discontinued.57215/

What alternatives should I consider? What are others using on FreeNAS for backing up other computers?

I use veeam's free edition for my Windows computers. https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html The free backup agent will send backups to an SMB share.

You can also switch your FreeNAS to using a Crashplan Pro account.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What are others using on FreeNAS for backing up other computers?
Urbackup and Time Machine. To back up the FreeNAS box itself, rclone to a Google Drive account.

Another Freenas nube here. I spent the last couple of weeks getting Crashplan to work on the freenas. Now with Crashplan's announcement, Like Nello, i am looking to transition from Crash Plan. Crashplan will run me about $70 a month since I want to backup 3 freenas boxes, and 4 pcs.

I am looking to backup the Freenas itself, not backing up other PC's to the freenas.
Essentially, I am asking for offsite solutions. Besides Rsync, what other jails/apps are supported. Thank you!

fracai

Guru
I'm not done with my research, but so far I think Duplicacy and B2 are going to be my replacement.

Hazimil

Contributor

nello

Patron
I'm not done with my research, but so far I think Duplicacy and B2 are going to be my replacement.
When your research is included, I hope that you'll post a few notes on what you will use and how to set it up. I take it that you are considering using the Linux build to run on your FreeNAS to provide backup services for desktops/laptops. It looks to me like B2 would be used to backup the FreeNAS box itself, not something I need.

Thanks in advance.

nello

Patron
In that case, it's easy: Time Machine.
Thank you for your suggestion. Time Machine (TM) is good for a single Mac.

But I want to offer backup to my FreeaNAS (single destination) from multiple family members via the Internet (multiple sources) so they get a remote backup. If you know an easy way to get TM to do remote backups please let me know.

Thanks again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, yes, remote backups would be an issue. Your family could always VPN into your network, but that adds another layer of complexity.

nello

Patron
but that adds another layer of complexity
Yes. I could use a VPN. But how would TM know to create the VPN before running? So the VPN would have to be up all the time. Not very robust/reliable.

nello

Patron
Hi, I've done some research you might find useful
You are trying to backup your FreeNAS (source) whereas I'm trying to backup desktops/laptops remotely over the Internet to FreeNAS (destination). So, unfortunately, I don't think your options apply to my situation. Thanks anyway.

nello

Patron

fracai

Guru
When your research is included, I hope that you'll post a few notes on what you will use and how to set it up. I take it that you are considering using the Linux build to run on your FreeNAS to provide backup services for desktops/laptops. It looks to me like B2 would be used to backup the FreeNAS box itself, not something I need.
I'll try to put something up this weekend. Though that likely means I won't ;-)

duplicacy has a FreeBSD binary available, so it should run fine in a jail.

Yes, I'm looking at backing up my FreeNAS and multiple home computers to B2. You could use Duplicacy (or one of the other OSS options) to backup to FreeNAS, but I'm not currently looking at that option.

nello

Patron

cstathoulis

Dabbler
Last edited:

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
@nello I'm currently looking into https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crashplan-alternative-backup-solution/ this seems to be very similar to crashplan. It's the direction I'm going. Open up a VM in freenas using v11 , install win7 and then upload everything to backblaze.

Backblaze sounds great, until you get to the part about how long they keep your files. Deleted files are deleted from the backup after 30 days. So if something happens to your files and for whatever reason you only notice after 30 days, you're fucked. In fact that is one of the prime reasons I chose Crashplan. At least they give you control over how long stuff is kept.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.