Crashplan leaving the home consumer marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
I just received this email today from Crashplan. Since many FreeNAS users happen to use CP, I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss. Will you begin looking elsewhere for your backups?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrashPlan® for Home Transition Information

Hello,

Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We’re honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It’s because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months, we will be transitioning out of the consumer market.

Your current subscription, which expires on xx/xx/xxxx, extends past the CrashPlan for Home sunset date of October 22, 2018. However, please know that we will continue to protect your data through the entire life of your subscription.

What this means

• We will honor all CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, including yours, which extend beyond the sunset date of October 22, 2018.
  • We will automatically upgrade your account to CrashPlan for Small Business after that date at no additional cost to you.
  • Your devices and your backup will be automatically migrated over to the CrashPlan for Small Business product for the remainder of your subscription, and this requires no action on your part. We will email more specific details to you before this upgrade occurs.
  • After the free upgrade and when your prepaid subscription term eventually expires, you may choose to renew on the CrashPlan for Small Business product. If you do, you will then be eligible for a 75% discount off the regular price, for the next 12 consecutive months

If you’d prefer to migrate to an alternative backup solution, we’ve selected Carbonite as our exclusive transition partner for consumer users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users and you are eligible for these discounts. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy. This offer is good until
October 22, 2019.

Please note that if you choose to move to another backup provider, there are no refunds for your CrashPlan for Home subscription.

Again, there is no action required on your part to maintain your subscription all the way through your expiration date. However, if you wish, you may also choose to take advantage of the exclusive Carbonite offer. Thank you, again, for being a CrashPlan for Home customer.

Sincerely,

Joe Payne
Chief Executive Officer, President and CEO of Code42

Last edited:

Kuro Houou

Contributor
So right now you pay about $70 a month to have unlimited backups for one computer. With Small business it looks like it would be $120 (10 bucks a month) for unlimited backups. Is that how everyone else reads it. I still think that's a pretty good deal if that's the case. With that said. Carbonite looks like it has a $75 dollar unlimited plan for one computer as well. What does everyone thing the better service would be? I already have my FreeNAS setup with a jail running backups.

Maxed Out

Cadet
Hey man, sorry to post this but your email is exposed. You may want to remove that link in your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboKaren

Contributor
So right now you pay about $70 a month to have unlimited backups for one computer. With Small business it looks like it would be $120 (10 bucks a month) for unlimited backups. Is that how everyone else reads it. I still think that's a pretty good deal if that's the case. With that said. Carbonite looks like it has a $75 dollar unlimited plan for one computer as well. What does everyone thing the better service would be? I already have my FreeNAS setup with a jail running backups.

Where CrashPlan was great was the Family Plan which was 10 computers, unlimited backups at $150/year. You really couldn't beat that.

Unfortunately, they had too many people like me who had their FreeNAS home servers back up to it :smile: and so they really couldn't make ends meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.