Backup data to google drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhup

Cadet
Hello,

Is it possible to backup my data from freenas to google drive / amazon s3?
Is there any plugin, which makes it possible? I would be good if it could encrypt the data before the upload.

Thank you in advance.

zhup

Cadet

joeschmuck

Old Man
To test out FreeNAS, you do not need to build a system. Just download a free VM solution such as VMWare Player and install it. Now you can create a virtual FreeNAS system. Keep it basic and simple, a single virtual hard drive for booting (4GB thin provisioned) and a single data drive (200GB thin provisioned) should be fine. Once it's up and running you can try some backup solutions. You only need a few files, should be easy to do.

The link you provided looked pretty good to me. The instructions were clear enough for me to follow if I were to use them.

zhup

Cadet
VM is a good idea. If I find time I will test rclone on VM with freenas.
Now I will test it on windows server 2012 r2 (with stablebit drivepool solution). I have already tested it on windows 10 and it works well, also with encryption.

Last edited:

Dan Puperi

Cadet
I have no possibility to check if rclone works on freenas., because I have no freenas system. I will setup the freenas storage only after it will the opensource possiblity to backup the data to the cloud with encryption.
Rclone works fine on windows, linux, freebsd, *bsd, osx ...

I think one of the forum member already tried it:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...drive-unlimited-everything.28723/#post-257700

Yes, this link and instructions work great! Just set up rclone recently (in a FreeNAS jail). I just use FreeNAS for home and don't have a lot of critical data, but I was looking for an automated backup to cloud storage of some of the stuff that is most important to me. I have rclone backing up some data to Google Drive, some to OneDrive, and and some to Dropbox...I just use free accounts on all of them. For instance, I take a nightly FreeNAS config backup....that now gets stored on Microsoft OneDrive using rclone sync after the config file is backed up. Its awesome for a small user like me (and all free!)

Status
Not open for further replies.