Plug-in idea - My vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Smith

Dabbler
My dilemma:

I download certain files to certain places; eg 'torrents' go to a 'completed torrents' folder. I know I can set them to go else where, but I like to rename files and put them where I want in a case by case basis.

Now this is easily achieved by jumping onto a computer, going to the server/share and doing what I want and moving it to the correct area. Easy. But:

I want to be able to do this from a plugin; ie I'd like to go to a 'file manager' plugin and move/rename/delete files from my phone or tablet. Now I can see security issues going to be the initial complaint here but I can delete files and folders using 'sick rage' but can't do much else, unless I am missing something.

My setup:

I have a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver, 2 x 4TB WD Red, 10GB ECC DDR3. Purely used as a media server. Plugins: Plex, sabNZBD, Sick Rage, Trasmission and Couch Potato.

I also use this server for basic file storage.

My idea / vision:

I have searched the forum for something like this, my idea is: a plugin that allows the user to go to the plugins ip on any device to modify/move/delete files within allowed jail.

My vision is: the possibility to install a basic Linux virtual machine that I can logon to using an device to make changes to files; like above and have a GUI.

I'd basically like to do the above on an iPad. The vision is sort of like terminal services, anyone know of anything like that in the pipeline or even exists but I have completely missed it.

Thanks, be kind. It's my first post :)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Have you looked into using WebDAV? It give you file management capabilities on other devices, like an ipad.

Darren Smith

Dabbler
Have you looked into using WebDAV? It give you file management capabilities on other devices, like an ipad.

That's another great solution, I think I'm going to look into it fully tomorrow. I've set it up but keeps showing as forbidden in the iOS app... Bloody permissions, I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks!

Darren Smith

Dabbler
Sorry to bring this post back from the death, but what I have actually done now may help someone in the future.

Now before I wanted to be able to access the file system on my iPad to transfer files. Well the solution I have been using for months has been to install Windows 7 as a virtual machine and use VNC on my iPad to remote in. This has basically made all my computers redundant as I can now do most things on my iPad.

So create a VM Jail, install Windows 7 (or preferred OS)
- Install VLC on your mobile device and off you go.

Thanks for getting me started!

Status
Not open for further replies.